Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you tile over plasterboard?

nicksom
Finding My Feet

Can you tile over plasterboard?

Can I tile over plasterboard? 

It's painted surface no water it's away from taps and has no PowerPoints.

Just a benchtop 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you tile over plasterboard?

Hello @nicksom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about tiling your plasterboard wall.

The quick answer is, yes, you can tile your plasterboard wall. I suggest washing the wall with sugar soap to scuff the surface of the wall. Please make sure that the wall is totally dry and free from debris before you begin tiling. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to tile a splashback.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Any other tips you have? 

Other than sugar soap? Anything else I need to do? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nicksom

If you're worried about the integrity of the paint that's currently on your wall, I suggest sanding the area with 240grit sandpaper. This will remove any flakes or weak spots in the paint structure. You'll then need to wipe the wall clean with a dry clean cloth and vacuum the remaining dust in the area.   

It's always prudent to prep the wall with Dunlop 1L Multipurpose Water Based Primer. This enhances the bond between the tile glue and the plasterboard you're tiling. Please make sure to give the primer enough time to cure before you start tiling. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects