Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Crommelin LiquidStone for bathroom floor?

BobLoblaw
Cultivating a Following

Crommelin LiquidStone for bathroom floor?

Hello Workshoppers!

My question is about using liquid stone, such as Crommelin or Megacrete, for a bathroom floor. 

I will be renovating my bathroom in the distant future. In the meantime, I’d like to make it look a bit nicer.

I have two types of floor tiles, unevenly laid. The floor itself is uneven and sloped (beyond the required slope to drain).

It would need to feel nice underfoot, and be safe and easy to clean. 

Foot feel: I’m thinking of lightly sanding the surface to remove gritty texture. I painted a plant pot using another brand of liquid stone and sanded it smooth. Felt beautiful, but could it translate to a bathroom floor?

Cleaning: Once sealed using a natural look stone sealant, would it be as easy to keep clean as for any other bathroom surface? 

Safety: The natural sealant info says does not form a film so will not add slip, but if the stone beneath is sanded till smooth (not polished), could it still be too slippery?  I know there are grip additives but from what I have read, they are mainly used for sealers that form a film. 

Assume that I will prime appropriately for the purposes of this question.

Thank you for any thoughts or advice on whether this could work.

BLL

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Crommelin LiquidStone for bathroom floor?

Hello @BobLoblaw

Thank you for sharing your question about using Crommelin or Megatreat for your bathroom floor. As much as I would like to say yes both these products are not rated for bathroom use. You'll notice on the Crommelin user guide that it is very specific where you can use it. It mentions different types of substrates but bathroom tiles are not included in that list.

One of the biggest hurdles that products need to overcome is the hot water heat test. When coatings are exposed and immersed for extended periods of time in hot water, it will often break any coating. It has to be either a tile or a solid mortar/cement compound used in your shower area.

My recommendation for your renovation is to start hunting for the perfect tile. If you're after that soft stone feel, I suggest going for a matt finish. It's easier to maintain and does not leave noticeable watermarks like gloss tiles. 

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.     

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BobLoblaw
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

Thank you for your reply. 

It’s not quite time for me to hunt for my perfect tile given my renovation is some time off. But, based on your comment about bathroom-use rating, I did a little more research and came back to then original product I used, Megatreat, which is rated for bathroom use. 

Thanks for your advice!

BLL

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BobLoblaw

Thanks for that update, please make sure to post a picture of your bathroom floor once you've sealed it. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it looks like.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BobLoblaw
Cultivating a Following

Will do! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects