Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y bathroom renovation on a budget

naz1
Making a Splash

D.I.Y bathroom renovation on a budget

Jason_0-1662617395241.jpeg

Both me and my partner have been working on my mums bathroom renovation over the last month. It was a budget friendly bathroom as she didn't have the funds to go all out however desperately needed it renovated as her shower was leaking due to the drain having tree roots damage the pipes from underneath. It was a full demolition however we kept the existing plumbing where it was and just moved the shower in place of where the bath used to be to save $$$

Lots of bunnings items was used during this bathroom renovation. The mirrors was something I made with a frame from kmart and ikea squre mirrors. The embroidery hoop décor and Greenery wall art opposite the shower is something eles I made using bunnings artificial plant grids, kmart flowers and a picture frame to add a bit of texture and a pop of colour to the bathroom. We were extremely lucky enough to have scored the bathroom vanity from our local bunnings store. It was on clearance for just $70!!! However I wasn't happy with how plain it was so I took the door and draws off, sanded it back and applied a texture paste to hand create a unique texture design, which I then painted afterwards. 

In total this bathroom renovation cost 6k. We did demolition and everything eles ourselves. However we did hire a plumber, waterproofer and tiler (for just the shower bed) as we didn't want to make any mistakes during this process and later on have water damage problems. 

It was a big transformation and ideally I would have loved to change the layout However we were on a tight budget and moving plumbing and ripping up the concrete slab to adjust pipes was out of my mums budget. 

We spent about 2 months researching and planning this bathroom before jumping into it, which helped us smash this out in 5 weeks. Keeping in mind I'm 6 months pregnant,  and both my partner and I work full-time. So we spent every weekend or sometimes after work doing things to get it done asap. 

Biggest tip: research and plan!! Communication between trades is a big thing to make sure everything runs smoothly 

Picsart_22-09-03_18-33-40-426.jpg

20220429_141125.jpg

20220429_141143.jpg

Picsart_22-09-03_18-34-27-336.jpg

20220903_165528.jpg

20220903_165516.jpg

20220903_170508.jpg

20220903_165623.jpg

20220903_170639.jpg

20220903_165615.jpg

20220903_170712.jpg

  

20220903_165510.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY bathroom renovation on a budget

What a stunning transformation, @naz1! You've achieved excellent results, which I'm sure you're proud of. 

I love your choices, and everything works so well together. The timber's warmth is a great addition; you've balanced that well. The custom door fronts also look wonderful and I haven't seen that done before. Could you tell us a little more about the method you used? It adds such a nice touch. 

Congratulations on a terrific reno which I trust your mum is thrilled about.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: D.I.Y bathroom renovation on a budget

Awesome stuff @naz1 ! 

I think my favourite thing about this is the wall texture and the texture paste you've got on the front drawers. Well done!

Remarka6le

Re: DIY bathroom renovation on a budget

Hi Mitchell 

Thank you! Yes mum was very happy and so was both my partner and myself. Love the use of timber as it definitely adds warmth to a space.

The texture on the door and draw fronts was also something I've never done before. I just new it needed something to make the vanity more interesting. After preparing the door and draws and sanding back, I used a texture paste in which I used different rollers and a brush to create this look. Once the paste harden I continued to sand and paint 

Thank you so much!

Yes I agree, I love texture and the texture on the vanity and walls add interest to the room. I didn't want to make it too overwhelming, hence the reason I painted it white 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @naz1

What an amazing transformation, I love all the colours and textures you've included in your design. It has such a relaxing coastal feel to it. 

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful bathroom renovation.

Eric

naz1
Making a Splash

Thank you Eric 😊 

I really appreciate the feedback! 

It was my pleasure to share the renovation with everyone on the bunnings workshop 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Fabulous transformation @naz1! I am just loving all your styling elements. For your cheeky wall art, did you use glue to attach the greenery?

A job well done.

Katie

naz1
Making a Splash

Thank you 😊

Yes I did use glue to attch the Greenery. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Naz1

You have really lifted that bathroom into the modern era :smile:  I dont know what I expecte dto see scrolling down the page. You have given me ideas for doing my own bathroom.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects