Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y bathroom renovation on a budget

naz1
Making a Splash

D.I.Y bathroom renovation on a budget

Jason_0-1662617395241.jpeg

Both me and my partner have been working on my mums bathroom renovation over the last month. It was a budget friendly bathroom as she didn't have the funds to go all out however desperately needed it renovated as her shower was leaking due to the drain having tree roots damage the pipes from underneath. It was a full demolition however we kept the existing plumbing where it was and just moved the shower in place of where the bath used to be to save $$$

Lots of bunnings items was used during this bathroom renovation. The mirrors was something I made with a frame from kmart and ikea squre mirrors. The embroidery hoop décor and Greenery wall art opposite the shower is something eles I made using bunnings artificial plant grids, kmart flowers and a picture frame to add a bit of texture and a pop of colour to the bathroom. We were extremely lucky enough to have scored the bathroom vanity from our local bunnings store. It was on clearance for just $70!!! However I wasn't happy with how plain it was so I took the door and draws off, sanded it back and applied a texture paste to hand create a unique texture design, which I then painted afterwards. 

In total this bathroom renovation cost 6k. We did demolition and everything eles ourselves. However we did hire a plumber, waterproofer and tiler (for just the shower bed) as we didn't want to make any mistakes during this process and later on have water damage problems. 

It was a big transformation and ideally I would have loved to change the layout However we were on a tight budget and moving plumbing and ripping up the concrete slab to adjust pipes was out of my mums budget. 

We spent about 2 months researching and planning this bathroom before jumping into it, which helped us smash this out in 5 weeks. Keeping in mind I'm 6 months pregnant,  and both my partner and I work full-time. So we spent every weekend or sometimes after work doing things to get it done asap. 

Biggest tip: research and plan!! Communication between trades is a big thing to make sure everything runs smoothly 

Picsart_22-09-03_18-33-40-426.jpg

20220429_141125.jpg

20220429_141143.jpg

Picsart_22-09-03_18-34-27-336.jpg

20220903_165528.jpg

20220903_165516.jpg

20220903_170508.jpg

20220903_165623.jpg

20220903_170639.jpg

20220903_165615.jpg

20220903_170712.jpg

  

20220903_165510.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: D.I.Y bathroom renovation on a budget

It really is a gorgeous bathroom transformation isn't it @Dave-1? Is your current bathroom similar in size? What kind of updates are you thinking of doing for it? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
naz1
Making a Splash

Thank you @Dave-1!

I really appreciate your kind words 😊

I'm glad that I have inspired you! I'm sure you will do great things to your bathroom!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@KatieC 

My bathroom is about the same size. The walls and tiles are cream! lol The ceiling paint is flaking due to condensation and the bathroom has a half bath. My intention one day is to leave the plumbing where it is and change the bath to a full one and shrink the vanity unit down. The paint job and the floor really made me bump my bathroom reno up the list. 

Dave

SensibleHill
Building a Reputation

This is so beautiful! I love the use of texture and timber!

Thank you so much!

It definitely adds a warmth and cosy element using timber 😊

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Dave-1,

You'll definitely save money by leaving your plumbing where it is and updating from there rather than doing a full reno. Good luck with your project, would love to see your progress when you start. As always, you can ask Workshop for any help or inspiration along the way. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects