Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dog door

Lisa6
Just Starting Out

Dog door

Looking for advice from someone who has made DIY dog doors to fit into a security screen door (laundry room leading outside) as I'm not very handy with the tools. I'm finding that there are only a limited and standard size variety of dog doors (many with poor reviews regarding quality) on the market and for the extra large size (what I need) very expensive.. 

I feel if I'm going to pay a lot of money for a dog door, if im in control of how it's made, I'm in control of the quality..

I was thinking perhaps something like in the link below:

https://www.k9ofmine.com/diy-dog-doors/

Would appreciate response/feedback asap.

Thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Dog door

Hi @Lisa6,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us.

I would encourage you to share some photos of your existing door(s) so members can see what you are working with and provide more specific and helpful advice. I'm sure @MitchellMc will be also more than happy to assist when he is back on the site tomorrow. 

We look forward to seeing what you can build for your beloved pooch and also reading about other projects and plans you might have for around the house and garden. Feel free to post anytime you need assistance or have a project to share. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative community.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dog door

Hi @Lisa6,

I look forward to seeing those images of your door. You're correct that if you build it yourself, you'll be in control of the quality, so if you are confident in your own ability, I will encourage you to give it a go.

Something to keep in mind is that on a larger door, you need a solid panel and a locking mechanism; otherwise, you might have some unexpected humans using the door to access your premises.

If you have any specific questions on the construction, please feel free to let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects