Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ensuite renovation

Tonyfendt
Getting Established

Ensuite renovation

FinallyFinally

We have an old Queenslander with all of the resident issues ... out of line floors and walls, asbestos, DIY services and some very questionable carpentry. The long ago renovated ensuite needed a 120% make-over.

The small space required particular attention to the selection and placement of fittings and fixtures.

I'm too embarrassed to load up what it looked like but have included the in-construction photos.

Fittings & wall tiling removed, old doorway discovered.Fittings & wall tiling removed, old doorway discovered.Fittings & wall tiles removed.Fittings & wall tiles removed.Wall lining and underlying VJ's stripped. Some shonky work exposed.Wall lining and underlying VJ's stripped. Some shonky work exposed.Fabulous old 1932 fretwork revealed.Fabulous old 1932 fretwork revealed.Straightening up old studwork and putting in bracing for wall fixtures.Straightening up old studwork and putting in bracing for wall fixtures.Plinth for wall hung vanity bench.Plinth for wall hung vanity bench.Waterproofing complete. My wife wanted to know why I used green, wasn't there some other colour ?Waterproofing complete. My wife wanted to know why I used green, wasn't there some other colour ?Glass tiling plinth.Glass tiling plinth.A good tiler cannot be emphasised enough ... make or break.A good tiler cannot be emphasised enough ... make or break.20220531_175417.jpgNew ensuite revealed ... looks like it came out of an hotel !New ensuite revealed ... looks like it came out of an hotel !20220618_104342.jpgFinallyFinally

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ensuite renovation

Hello @Tonyfendt

Thank you very much for sharing such an amazing ensuite renovation. I can only imagine what the old fittings looked like before the makeover. Your tile combination for the area really stands out, it feels like I'm looking at a very posh hotel bathroom. How long did the entire bathroom renovation take? What were some of the difficulties that you encountered while renovating the ensuite?

Any other information you can share about the ensuite makeover would be very much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tonyfendt
Getting Established

Re: Ensuite renovation

Thank you so much for your appreciation, Eric.

This is my second bathroom renovation in the past 6 months, the other is less salubrious but yet very appealing in its conservative way.

This one took me only a few weeks of actual work over a period of around 3 months ... waiting for availability electrician, plumber and materials. Patience !

All of the usual maladies that I encountered on the other bathroom surfaced here too. Asbestos is a given in these old homes and must be professionally removed.

Plumbing and electrical work looked like it was a DIY job from the 60's, shockingly bad. I redesigned the plumbing into different pathways to save headroom below and look much neater as well as adding in the dry floor waste. Electrical was much easier to redo, just cabling and tidying up.

The walls weren't very plumb and once I'd stripped the sheeting and then cut out the pine VJ's the cause was apparent ... unlike modern construction, the studs and noggings were reversed so the wall had little vertical rigidity. Not to mention that somewhere in its past huge rebates were chiseled out of the vertical noggings which I ended up fixing studs over. The rigidity and plumbness to about 5mm was resolved to all walls and the tiler's joy!

Likewise, the floors had sagged a bit but in realty there's nothing to be done except to locate the floor drain at the lowest level :smile:

All in all. I'm very happy with this make over and my wife keeps telling me to stop staring at it ... hahahaha!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects