Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Filling gaps between floorboards in bathroom

Chris_T
Having an Impact

Filling gaps between floorboards in bathroom

Hi

I've got old timber floorboards in my bathroom near the shower which have quite large gaps between them (~2mm). They end up with a lot of dust and dirt in them, and I'm concerned about water getting in and pooling - and I was considering filling the gaps - but found a lot of conflicting advice on Google about whether filling gaps is a good idea at all. There were also lots of conflicting suggestions about what to fill them with given there's likely to be future expansion/shrinkage. In addition to that, there wasn't really any advice specifically about wet areas. 

Alternatively I wondered if I could just recoat the boards in that area with a layer of varnish to seal them a little? The original varnish near the shower base is pretty rough now (I've only had the house a short time but I'm guessing decades of moisture have played a part).

floor.jpg

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Filling gaps between floorboards in bathroom

Ok - so I've filled the gaps and sanded back. When I did the sticky-tape test, the intergrain did come off, so I'll followed directions and sanded back to bare wood. However, there are a few indentations in the wood - either patterns in the wood or indentations from dropped items - which are still a little "glossy". I don't want to sand back too much - would it be safe to assume these smalll areas won't be an issue and I can just go over them, or is it worth trying to use some kind of stripper to get it all off?

IMG_7124.2021-09-11 14_35_46.gif 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Chris_T,

It's one of those things where, in a perfect world, you'd want none of the previous coating left. Will you see any adverse effects if you coat over? Probably not, but it's hard to give a definitive answer. I believe even if you were to use a stripper, you'd find it difficult to get the remnants out of the crevices. You now have plenty of surface area the new coating will bind to, which should offset any tiny areas left to which it won't adhere.

If this were my floor, I'd take the chance and coat over. The amount of work it will take to get an ever depreciating amount of coating off, I feel, outweighs the benefit.

Let me mention @TedBear to get his thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yeah that was my vibe too, but I've never used a stripper before so wasn't sure how successful it was likely to be. I'll give it a little more light sanding to make sure I've got off what I can, and get on to varnishing!

Thanks
Chris

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with not trying to achieve perfection. A lived in home (& its floor) needs to have character. 

Some photos from the process - I haven't revarnished the floor yet, but everything else is done and it's looking pretty good!

IMG_7056 copy.jpg

IMG_7199.PNG

IMG_7093 copy.jpg

Pre-stain

IMG_7069 copy.jpg

Post stain

IMG_7202 copy.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Nice work @Chris_T! That looks very uniform after the stain. I'm waiting with anticipation to see the final results. You've certainly put in the effort.

Keep us updated.

Mitchell

It's been a while, but final got around to finishing the bathroom floor. Looking good, but the improvement is probably not so visible from the photos. This was mostly a preventative measure to try and seal the gaps and protect the boards from water drops from the shower, which it does much better now.

Here's some photos. Boards also match the old boards pretty well!

Thanks for all the help!

IMG_7775 copya.jpgIMG_7777 2 copya.jpgIMG_7789 copya.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work @Chris_T! I'm pleased to see that's worked out for you. As you mentioned, even though there is also a visual improvement, the real benefit will be in preventing rot within the boards.

We can't wait to assist with your next project. Reach out any time you need assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects