Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Glass mirror restoration project

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Glass mirror restoration project

Before 1.jpgBefore 2.jpg

I found this glass mirror out on my back patio amidst all the rubbish that was being removed. I knew it could be restored nicely and I need a mirror for the bathroom. So, I am going to restore it. The carpet in the background is getting laid next Monday! Cannot wait. 

I am taking photos along the way so I will update as I go. 

Wouldy

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Re: Glass mirror restoration project

@EricL 

This mirror actually weighs around 5 kilos. It's going to hang on my bathroom wall. Can you suggest something from Bunnings that will solidly hold its weight? I don't want to use any nails obviously. 

Thanks. 

Wouldy

Wouldy
Making a Splash

@MitchellMc 

I will also tag you in this one 🙂

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wouldy

To secure your mirror to the wall, I suggest using a timber french cleat. It's basically two pieces of timber cut at a 45-degree angle allowing the pieces to slot into one another. I've placed an example below for you to see. The timber pieces will have to be mounted to the wall and ideally at least anchored to a stud. You can use hollow wall anchors for the left and right sides of the cleat. If it is possible to anchor both sides of the cleat to one stud each it would be more secure. The other piece has to be screwed onto the timber backing piece of the mirror. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

timber cleat attached to back of mirrorreverse piece attached to wall and stud

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL 

I am not sure if I will go with a cleat at the moment. I am super exhausted and I feel a cleat is going to take up the room in the bathroom we do not have. 

The two wooden bars on the back of the mirror are vertical not horizontal. I just took the photo with them horizontal. 

I am not sure yet what I am going to do. I will keep brainstorming though. Thank you for your advice and suggestion.

Wouldy. 

@EricL 

IMG_20211215_145343.jpg

I'm actually really liking the exposed beautiful raw wood. I feel reluctant to actually paint the mirror. At this stage I'm considering putting on a nice clear satin varnish just to protect the wood and make that beautiful wood stand out some more. I don't think I would need a 1 litre. Perhaps a 500ml instead. Is there anything you  like suggest? 

Cheers 

Wouldy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wouldy

That timber frame actually looks very nice. If you're after a clear sealer I suggest using Bondall 250ml Monocel Satin Waterbased Clear Wood Varnish. If I recall correctly it also comes in a gloss finish. If you were to accessorize the bathroom with some timber products it would compliment the mirror nicely.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wouldy 

I just wanted to be clear on the position of the cleat. It's actually located above the two wooden bars. It's the same thickness as the wooden bars so it will not be using a lot of space. Since you're not keen on using nails my only other recommendation is using Zenith 50 x 15 x 1.8mm Tri Corner Brace - 2 Pack. The two wooden bars will have to come off, you'll need to mark the corners of the mirror on the wall where you want to install the mirror. If you're lucky and there are studs where the brackets are supposed to go that's wonderful. Otherwise, you will have to use hollow wall anchors to hold the brackets in place. If you get a chance to visit the store have a look at the Tri-Corner Brace and see if it's applicable.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

wouldy mirror8.jpg

@EricL 

Hi! It's so funny you mention that specific product because that is the exact one I chose for the job ha ha. I went way before reading your reply just now. It shows I have learnt some stuff along the way of being a restorer/renovator. 

Wouldy

Hey @EricL 

Thanks for explainng the clear further. I got it now. I'm going to look into the bracket option you mentioned too. Thankfully thus is not a hurried project. More a labour of love so I can take my time. If I need any further advice, I will get in touch. 

Wouldy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects