Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hanging a wall mount clothesline

vikingwench
Finding My Feet

Hanging a wall mount clothesline

Clothesline.jpg

I need to hang a wall mounted clothesline but it has to go on compressed fibre cement cladding.

What fixings should I use???

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hanging a wall mount clothesline

Welcome to the Workshop community @vikingwench. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

Can I please confirm how thick the compressed fibre cement cladding is, as different methods will need to be used depending on the thickness? If it is thin 4--6mm you'll need to locate timber studs to fix into and if it is thick 15-24mm you could use masonry anchors with Ramset 750ml Chemset 101 Masonry Anchoring Adhesive Cartridge to ensure they don't pull out.

If you can let me know what type of cladding it is I can provide a more thorough explanation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It’s 6 mm. What do I do if no studs in right place🥴

Hi @vikingwench,

For a 6mm fibre cement board, you will need to use spring/drop-down toggles which expand behind the board increasing its contact surface area. This will help prevent them from being pulled out.

Mitchell

Will that be strong enough to hold up a clothesline?

@vikingwench,

Each toggle holds ten kilograms and I'd imagine the clothesline has 4 mounting holes. The fixings would then hold 40kgs of weight. It is not an ideal circumstance fixing into 6mm fibre cement board and the weak point would not be the fixings but the board itself. I presume there is not an option to mount it elsewhere on a brick wall?

Mitchell

It’s the only place with sun. Doesn’t sound ideal. Not sure what to do now. Thanks for your help though..

Iain
Getting Established

I'm no expert but I really can't see a clothesline attached to 6mm fibre cement cladding lasting more than 5 minutes. The weight of the clothesline and clothes will be pulling the top 2 fixings away from the wall while the bottom of the frame touching the wall is pushed towards it. So the top 2 are taking most of the weight. If the fixing points don't line up with studs a possible solution might be to attach a big piece of timber across the wall screwing into the studs, then attach clothesline to that.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the community @Iain.

It's fantastic to have you join us and I'm sure @vikingwench appreciates your input. That's a great piece of advice about the timber which is most likely the best solution. We look forward to hearing about some of your own projects around the home and garden. If you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community please let us know.

Mitchell

@vikingwench,

As @Iain was mentioning, a good solution would be to bridge between the timber studs with some 90 x 35mm H3 MGP 10 Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing. You can then fix the clothesline bracket to the timber. Here's a rudimentary diagram to illustrate.

Mitchell

wall mount clothesline.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects