Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How best to renovate our bathroom

Khariq
Finding My Feet

How best to renovate our bathroom

54709D9C-157B-44C6-96BD-A3434B71389D.jpeg

  

Hi brains trust! 
looking to update our bathroom but not sure what the best way forward is.

Ideally want to keep the facilities in the same positions but add in another toilet to the main bathroom. Also was hoping for a free standing tub if we can make it work. 
The bathroom is spacious but has two doors which impacts the use of space. All suggestions appreciated!

347088C0-AAB5-4E7A-9E87-C667F48C2574.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How best to renovate our bathroom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Khariq. We're really pleased to have you join us and are looking forward to seeing how you can transform your bathroom (with a little bit of help from the wonderful Workshop community).

Many thanks for sharing the photo and the basic plan. Have you seen the new guide How to plan a bathroom renovation by experienced Workshop member @Adam_W? I hope it helps give you confidence about the project. 

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL for his thoughts on what you could do with the space. Helpful members @2Belindas and @JDE might also like to share their thoughts. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Khariq

Thank you for sharing your question about your bathroom layout.

My apologies for the late reply. Based on your request you actually have enough room to accommodate both a  toilet and a free-standing bath. You may have to compromise on the size of the vanity but everything will fit adequately. Here are my suggestions for your bathroom layout:

• I suggest closing off the other door near the current toilet and leave a single entrance near the current shower.
  • I tried to keep most of your bathroom appliances in the same place, to accommodate the toilet, we have to move the vanity to the adjoining wall on the right.
  • I suggest putting the toilet in its current location for ease of plumbing. It is also hidden from the line of sight and is not the first thing you see when entering your bathroom.
  • Replace your current bathroom door with a sliding door to maximize the use of bathroom space.
  • I suggest tiling all the way to the ceiling on the wet side of your bathroom.
  • The only other recommendation I have is to install a 3 in 1 bathroom light to give your bathroom very good ventilation.

Here is a link for more bathroom ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects

Here is a link to one of our featured bathroom renovations: Bathroom renovation by @jaga

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the advice it is much appreciated!

We can definitely look to shifting the door to a sliding however I am hesitant to close of the mentioned door as it is provides access to the main house, and the other door is connected to the main bedroom. 
If we close it off then the only bathroom in the house is an ensuite alone. Perhaps both doors can become sliding doors to reduce the impact of this?

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Great to hear that you've received helpful advice @Khariq.

@EricL will be more than happy to help further with this design when he's back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects