Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I reconfigure the bathroom/laundry/kitchen to maximise space?

shar187
Just Starting Out

How do I reconfigure the bathroom/laundry/kitchen to maximise space?

I have existing kitchen, porch, laundry and bathroom that need upgrading and I'd like to maximise the usable space but so daunted on where to start. The laundry is currently used as a dumping ground and far too big, the porch entry door can be moved to line up with the external face of the house so we can incorporate the extra area there too (although it will need to remain a walkway through to the living room). The image is from our original house plans, not much has changed since 1940 except the linen cupboard and bath are gone and there's now a shower there. The top wall on the image is the external face of the house and the bottom wall is structural but the other walls between the rooms can move. The depth right along is 2.42m. The width of the rooms at the moment are kitchen 2.8m, porch 0.95m, laundry 1.35m, bathroom 2.03m

We were thinking we could use part of the laundry closest to the kitchen as pantry, add the rear part to the bathroom but can't work out what items we could fit in the bathroom (will it be big enough for a bath, shower, toilet & vanity without looking cramped - don't want a shower over bath so otherwise will forgo the bath). We thought perhaps the washing machine could go in the area marked on the plan as 'cyl' which is the old hot water cylinder which has been moved to the corner of the laundry marked as the red circle. 

Any ideas on configuration and especially around the bathroom as that is the most urgent and we are thinking we could upgrade that in isolation first. 

Capture of existing.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I reconfigure the bathroom/laundry/kitchen to maximise space?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shar187. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your plans.

I'd encourage you to break your project down by concentrating on one area at a time, but keeping the overall project in mind as you go. If you would like to take some bathroom images for us and draw a small plan for it, we can start there. The current plan is very busy. I trust our members will provide advice on what you can fit in the bathroom to get you started.

I'll be looking forward to following along with your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ok. Break it down - good idea to start :smile: 

so I’ve measured c. Additional 25cm we could get in the bathroom width without having to move the external laundry window (although would stump up the cost if it’s going to get a better result). This would bring the width to 2.28m and I’ve drawn up a little mock up with shower, toilet and vanity and am thinking of rehanging door to open against the wall instead of against the shower as current. 

Do you think we could fit a bath also if we took an extra kink from the laundry like I’ve drawn in the dotted line and have a more regular sized shower also?

I’ve attached some pics existing. Excuse the mess

E404638E-E30A-4883-A267-9CAB2EA471D9.jpeg

37AAB618-3AD7-43DF-AF30-09DE01F3B4D1.jpeg

0EAEFD58-9A35-4D29-BE11-8F63BC93BC1E.jpeg

12294A2E-DC86-493B-83BD-5C4FB5E636D3.jpeg

64ABF0FC-EE9F-46C3-8107-8F280143D0DE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@shar187,

If you don't need a bath, I would substitute it for an oversized luxurious shower. I believe you could get both in there, but it is going to be fairly cramped. Let me mention @redracer01 to get his thoughts on whether he could make both work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects