Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I redesign my laundry space?

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

How do I redesign my laundry space?

sy1mkE5PSvq9h9CxI59POw.jpghi -

We have a laundry closet hidden behind bifold in the living room.  We are running short of space and the laundry lacks storage space, plus it looks quite messy. 

I would like to be able to have a broom cabinets to store brooms/mops/vacuum etc neatly. 

We might go for a condenser drier down the line which are heavier so I would not want to mount it on the wall.  So I am looking for a set up where the washer drier sit side by side on the floor with means I will have to compromise on the horizontal space , or figure out a way to mount the drier above the washer (on a bench top or something) so the weight still gets transferred to the floor instead of the wall. 

The laundry is 2200 wide.

Appreciate suggests on a low budget makeover please. TIA 

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

Re: How do I redesign my laundry space?

Dt7TzBFNRhmYQW%JP1BbHQ.jpgsy1mkE5PSvq9h9CxI59POw.jpg

Hi @sydneysider,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. I've had a look to see what I could come up with for your space. Personally, I'd prefer to do away with the broom closet idea which would allow the washer/dryer to be side-by-side. 

Let me also mention @redracer01 to see if he would like to contribute some ideas as well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @MitchellMc 

Very nicely done! Good use of space.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@MitchellMc thanks for the reply. 

I prefer the side by side layout too, but would like to be able to store mops/vacuum somewhere too and at the moment laundry area is the only space we got for that. 

With the 2200 width do you reckon we can fit in a 450w broom cabinet plus the washer, driers and still have room for the trough cabinet.  are there any models in Bunnings you would recommend? 

We also need hanging cabinets at the top.

Hi @sydneysider,

Even with a slimline washing tub/cabinet, I don't think there will be enough room to have them all side-by-side. Let's wait and see if @redracer01 is able to work his magic. Having another look at my design, I've actually made a mistake and worked off 2000mm width. So there was an extra 200mm available. I'm also working off stock washing/dryer widths so these don't necessarily match up with your units. They could be slightly larger or smaller and some detailed measurements would need to be taken.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @sydneysider 

I've drawn you a couple of versions of the laundry. Due to the bulkhead inside your laundry it will impact the placement of the tall pantry. The pantry will have to be modified so that it fits into the space taking the bulkhead into account (you'll  see it in the drawing). You will have to allocate some space from your laundry tub in order for the pantry to fit (we'll have to get rid of the laundry tub) and replace it with a laundry sink that fits into a 450mm base cabinet. I've allocated at least a space of 620mm for each of the appliances. Hopefully that will be enough and it all fits into your 2200mm space. You can either have open shelves, slimline cabinets or full cabinets. Just a reminder that by using full wall cabinets it will have to be installed on the upper part of the bulkhead of your laundry. Your builder may have to reinforce that part of the install. I also suggest using louver doors to allow the inside of your laundry to breathe. I hope you enjoy the drawings.

Cheers,

Red

sydneysider1.jpgsydneysider2.jpgsydneysider3.jpgsydneysider4.jpgsydneysider6.jpgsydneysider5.jpgsydneysider7.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hello @redracer01 

Thanks for the drawings and these are very helpful for me trying to visualise how the space will look with the tall cabinet.  I have been pondering over the designs and looks like we have to choose between trading the laundry sink for a smaller size to accomodate the tall cabinet.  At this stage it looks like having a broom cabinet is important for us to store mops etc.  

It would be really helpful if you can send us the links of the these cabinets in Bunnings so we can look them up and take some dimensions. Also if you could suggest an appropriate sink and base cabinet, it will help visualise the size.  

By bulkhead did you mean the timber strip you see on the photo? I am not sure if it is meant to be a structural support, it was there before we moved in. 

As another alternative, do you think the drier can be made to sit on the bench on top of the washer so we make better use of vertical space and not having to compromise on sink and tall cabinet widths?  My preference is to have weight of the drier transferred to the floor rather than the wall hence trying to see if it  can be on top of the bench and a vertical cabinetry wall (like a box) for the drier. do you think the bench can take that weight? 

thanks a million for your suggestions so far, much appreciated. 

Hello @sydneysider 

The parts for the suggested laundry make over are : Kaboodle cabinetry with doors in gloss white finish.

450 base cabinet x 1 + door

450 pantry cabinet x 1 + door

pantry end panel x 1

base end panel x 1

800 slimline cabinet x 2 ( you can make one of them 900mm if there is enough space. )

1 x FJ Merbau timber project panel 2200 x 600 x 25 ( 2 if you make the shelving option )

1 Mondella Rococo square single sink. ( you may also choose to keep your laundry tub as seen in my new suggested lay out )

or - 1 Mondella Resonance round sink.

Yes the dryer can go on the bench top. Please make sure to tell your builder so that they will reinforce the fiting of the bench top.Yes the dryer can go on the bench top. Please make sure to tell your builder so that they will reinforce the fiting of the bench top.

The new lay out parts are the same except now you have a choice of putting in :

600 base cabinet x 1 + doors ( or the old steel laundry tub stays )

450 base cabinet x 1 + doors

Just a reminder that if you choose to make the pantry bigger just remember that you will have to change the size of the wall cabinets as well. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Red 

THis is brilliant, thanks a ton @redracer01  . 

It will actually work best for us, let me know find a tradie who can do this for us on a budget.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects