Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover tiles in my bathroom?

PetaR
Getting Established

How to cover tiles in my bathroom?

Hello all,

I would like to cover my bathroom's floor tiles without removing them, I'm not sure if this is possible, would love to hear some ideas on updating this area, to a modern black and white palette. It is lacking storage, and a feel of welcomeness. Please help!IMG_6347.jpgIMG_6348.jpgIMG_6349.jpgIMG_6350.jpgIMG_6351.jpgIMG_6352.jpgIMG_6354.jpgIMG_6355.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to cover tiles in my bathroom?

Aftternoon @PetaR 

First a question, when you say "cover" do you mean a new flooring or the tiles being painted?

If you are thinking painted there are some nice products that you can use on floor tiles from Bunnings. I have been following them for a few years and they have improved dramatically in that time. White Knight 1L White Gloss Renew Tile And Laminate Paint is just one of the products, there is another brand that I cant think of now but its worth a wander in and have a chat to the paint staff. Sometimes they have example days and show you what its like. As far as I know they are random but ask and you could be lucky.

As to floor coverings, I am not sure of one that would handle being in a wet area. I do know taht there are new fake tile backings for the walls ect that I also intend to use when I redo my bathroom. Wall Art 2400 x 1200 x 3mm New York White Tile Wet Area Wall / Shower Panel 

Now its down to the tap fittings and yes I have seen jet black, well matt black fittings that would look nice next to those white tile panels. I would even be tempted to frame those bricks behind teh wall and not touch them. Kind of make it liek a feature of teh room. It brings ballance to it.

Lastly I would like to say Hello :smile: and welcome to the Buunnings community page :smile: Take a wander through teh bathroom reno's (just time in bathroom renovations) to the search bar if you havnt already :smile: and bingo! Guaranteed your book of ideas will be filled!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PetaR 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the tiles in your bathroom.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Painting and tiling are two of your options regarding covering your floor. Unfortunately, stick on tiles is not strong enough to withstand the heavy moisture of the bathroom. 

One other option is to use Floor Select 6mm 2.2m² Blackbutt Hybrid Waterproof Flooring or similar. The waterproof core means you can take the wood-look throughout your entire home, including wet areas such as bathrooms and laundries. 

In addition to being waterproof, Floor Select Hybrid also feature high dimensional stability meaning they display minimal expansion or contraction in response to fluctuating temperatures and high humidity. Please be aware though that adding to the thickness of your flooring means that your door will need to be adjusted.  

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to plan a bathroom renovation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PetaR
Getting Established

Hi @Dave-1 

loving these ideas, thankyou. And thankyou for the warm welcome 🙂

PetaR
Getting Established

Hi @EricL 

@Thankyou for the warm welcome also, yes I thought the stick on tiles may possibly be an issue. I have gone with the painting option in the bathroom. 

I shall try leave an after photo once the project is complete. Thanks for the tips, I will head on over to the links to check them out!

Peta 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects