Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to find convenient way to clip on a portable dishwasher inlet hose?

segadreamcast
Finding My Feet

How to find convenient way to clip on a portable dishwasher inlet hose?

I have sunk years of research into this and I still can't figure out any convenient way to attach my portable dishwasher inlet hose to the sink faucet. 

I originally just had the Bunnings Kinetic 19mm Brass Dishwasher Adaptor, as the only attachment - but I had to carefully screw it on the hose and tap every time I wanted to use it.

Pictured - hose with no attachment.

1000008284.jpg

Now I've got this plug-on arrangement I bought online, which involved buying a set of MORE brass adaptors to screw onto the original Bunnings one, AND 2 rubber fittings to plug onto the tap, AND a beige plastic screw-on clip to screw AROUND the whole thing.

1000008285.jpg

This is way too many attachments and was still very inconvenient to plug on, and screw the outer part around it all (pictured above - it's a column of white rubbery parts and various brass and metal adaptors). And of course the inside of the rubber fitting ripped, so it's no longer a tight seal; water sprays everywhere so it's unusable.

I wouldn't even know the name for the little inner rubber piece, so I can't simply buy a new one - I'd have to buy a whole set of parts and attachments again, in the hopes of getting another cheap little rubber piece. It's also hard to buy these things online because of getting the measurements correct. 

SO I bought ANOTHER brass fitting and a snap-on adaptor, the convenient kind that is meant to be attached to a hose (pictured below) - but how can I attach it to the dishwasher inlet hose?! Am I meant to cut the end off of the hose?

1000008286.jpg

Someone please help, I've been at my wit's end with this and can't google any more solutions (especially with my limited knowledge of any kind of technical plumbing terms). I just want to know how to attach the snap-on adaptor to my hose & finally be able to use the

dishwasher.

Pictured below - garden hose adaptor doesn't fit to the inlet hose, due to the end piece of the inlet hose sticking out, unlike a garden hose 

1000008287.jpg

1000008288.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to find convenient way to clip on a portable dishwasher inlet hose?

Hi @segadreamcast 

I can see your pain having to play with hose fittings all the time.

Will this new  dish washer hose screw onto your tape screw thread?  The discription dosnt meantion  size of thread  usually 20mm and the other end should suit your dish washer  directly.

Kinetic 2m Washing Machine And Dishwasher Inlet Hose

$26.10

For your  plan as is ie creative plumbing.

This 8mm hose connector may fit hose better no promises though your jugdment required and that means cutting hose but  reduce water pressure to dish washer turn  water on less so  things dont  fail. Soak  hose end in hot water to help .  but eye ball or measure dimentions  before doing any thing.

$5.68

I already have that Kinetic Washing Machine And Dishwasher Inlet Hose - I used to just attach it to the Kinetic 19mm Brass Dishwasher Adaptor, as the only attachment, to go onto the sink. But it requires screwing it on each time I need to use it, and the plastic threads of the hose started to wear off from all the constant attaching and reattaching. I'm looking for a way I could simply pop on an attachment, or clip on, without needing to screw something on

Hi @segadreamcast,

Would you consider engaging a plumber and installing some permanent fittings? If you are in a rental property, you could have a chat to the landlord and encourage them to make the investment - a home with a dishwasher could command higher rent!

Jason

PS. What is your favourite Dreamcast game? I was a Space Channel 5 fan.  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Haha mine was Shenmue. Yes I'm in a rental, the landlord strongly refuses sadly @Jason 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @segadreamcast 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about connecting your benchtop dishwasher to your tap.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - Benchtop dishwasher quick release connection by @jenenev. It's a good example of how you can link your dishwasher hose to your tap. This solution could possibly work for you since you already have a standard 12mm brass garden hose connector attached to your tap. 

The general idea is to create mini-garden hose set with connectors at either end. You then use a sprinkler adapter that has a 20mm male end on it to clip to the hose. This will allow you to link your dishwasher hose with relative ease.

However, I still advise you to speak to your landlord regarding getting a proper dishwasher water outlet under the sink.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @EricL  , I'm sorry I'm not very good with terminology and have a learning disability 😅 could you please explain in very simple terms what you mean, and the process ? What parts should I connect my inlet hose to, going in order from the hose to the tap?

I tried googling the terms/items you mentioned but different types of products come up for sprinkler adapter, 12mm adaptor etc 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @segadreamcast 

I've placed the links below for the parts that you'll need to create your dishwasher connector. 

In regards to the hose, I suggest cutting a small portion off your existing garden hose. I've placed a picture below of what the assembly looks like.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects