Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Caroma toilet seat soft closing?

algenebautista
Growing in Experience

How to fix Caroma toilet seat soft closing?

Hello,

For some reason our toilet seat cover doesn't close softly anymore this past week.

Brand is Caroma.

I need your advise how to fix this.

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Algene Bautista

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Caroma toilet seat soft closing

Hello @algenebautista 

I suggest having a quick look at the hinge fittings to make sure that they are not loose and tightly attached to the toilet pan. However, if the hinge is perfectly installed and the seat no longer goes down softly, odds are the soft close mechanism has failed.  

Some soft close units come with the hinges independent of the seat others are moulded into the seat itself. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the entire seat and a clear shot of the hinge assembly. This will allow me to make recommendations on what toilet seat to replace it with.

If you decide to visit the store, I suggest measuring the length and width of the seat along with the distance of the mounting holes. These measurements will come in handy when you look at possible replacement sets.

I also suggest having a look at this guide: How to buy a new toilet seat

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
algenebautista
Growing in Experience

Hello Eric,

Thank you heaps for your response I appreciate it.

Please see attached photos of the toilet seat cover.

To be honest I don't know where the hinges are. 

Please advise thanks.

Kind Regards, 

Algene Bautista 

20240204_153418.jpg

20240204_153418.jpg

  

20240204_153428.jpg

Hi @algenebautista,

I'm sorry, but it appears your hinges are moulded into the seat, and I can't imagine there is anything adjustable there. It's likely that the soft-close mechanism has failed, requiring replacement.

Mitchell

Hello Mitchell,

Thank you for your response I appreciate it.

When you say replacement is it the whole toilet system?

Please advise thanks.

Kind Regards, 

Algene Bautista 

Hi @algenebautista,

Yes, it would be the whole toilet seat. I had a similar issue with a soft-close toilet seat a while back. I accidentally pushed it close, and it broke the hinge system. The seat needed to be replaced as I couldn't access any relevant parts in the hinge system. You can pick up very budget-friendly soft-close seats these days, like the Estilo White Quick Release Soft Close Toilet Seat.

I've recently installed an evekare Water Powered Bidet Toilet Seat, and I must say, it's quite the experience.

Mitchell

Hello,

Do I need to replace the toilet bowl as well?

Kind regards, 

Algene Bautista 

No, @algenebautista. The ceramic cistern and pan (bowl) stay, and the plastic seat section gets removed and replaced. There will be some hidden fixing method to detach the seat from the pan. If you can take some pictures from the side and directly above the hinge section, we might be able to point out how to remove it.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects