Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix tiny water leak from pipe behind toilet?

Rose2
Just Starting Out

How to fix tiny water leak from pipe behind toilet?

There's a tiny water leak from the white pipe behind the toilet seat. The leak is where the joint is. Someone suggested replacing the wax ring inside. How do u do that? 

Screenshot_20220103-080326_Facebook.jpg

20220102_075223.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiny Water Leak

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rose2. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing your leaking toilet.

You'll need to check whether working on sewage pipes yourself is allowable in your area. Otherwise, make sure to employ the services of a qualified tradesperson.

There is a cap portion that will need to be pushed off to the left, and then a large rubber collar will be exposed. You need to replace this collar as it is likely cracked. Be a bit aware that this leak could also indicate that you have a blocked pipe and waste is backed up to that point. So, if you open the pipe, you might end up with a bit of a mess.

Depending on how the toilet has been connected into the pan collar, you might find it quite tricky to insert the new rubber collar, but you won't find that out until you open it up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Tiny Water Leak

I totally agree with Mitchell and he has given you what I would consider the correct long term solution. If you need an immediate short term fix a can of Rust-Oleum White Leakseal Rubberised Coating Spray  ($16:95 Bunnings)  has gotten me out of trouble I fixed a toilet with the same issue at my inlaws (had to do 2 coats) to keep her out of trouble until I get back to it. Opps that was 6 months ago and still working fine. Note short term fix, also make sure you, clean pipe and put newspaper or something to avoid overspray  JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects