Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water staining on walls and ceilings?

terry_mtw
Just Starting Out

How to fix water staining on walls and ceilings?

Please note attached photos that water staining indicates that surfaces have been exposed to excessive moisture over time. May I ask how to fix it. 

Thanks,

Terry

SmartSelect_20220420-223800_Acrobat for Samsung.jpgSmartSelect_20220420-223820_Acrobat for Samsung.jpgSmartSelect_20220420-223844_Acrobat for Samsung.jpgSmartSelect_20220420-223859_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix water staining on walls and ceilings?

Hi @terry_mtw,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

It looks as though you have significant damage on your bathroom walls. Before we start to discuss how to repair the damage, can you please share with us whether you know the cause? For example, it is simply because of poor ventilation in the room, or is it something more potentially serious such as a roof leak or possibly leaking pipes? Obviously you will need to tackle the cause of the problem first otherwise it will simply reoccur. 

Please let us know and we can share tips on next steps. Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix water staining on walls and ceilings?

Hello @terry_mtw

Thank you so much for sharing photos of the water stains on your wall and ceiling. My colleague has made a very sound assessment of your situation. Trapped moisture and poor ventilation are the number one cause of mould and mildew staining on the walls. Repairing the current stains is fairly straightforward with some light sanding and painting. But failure to address the trapped moisture in the area will mean that the staining will return and your repair work will have been wasted.

There is also the possibility of a water leak inside your walls. This is a more serious matter as it will require that the source of the leak be first identified and repaired. If your plaster walls have been damaged by water, they will need to be removed and replaced as they will become a haven for mould infestation. 

Is that a ventilation fan near the toilet or is it just a plain opening with a cover grill in front of it? I suggest installing an exhaust fan in the room to prevent moisture from being trapped inside. I recommend installing a Haron 335 x 185mm Aluminium Door Relief Vent at the bottom of the bathroom door to allow air to circulate in the room. My number one suggestion is to link the fan switch to the light switch so that it automatically turns on when you turn on the light in the room.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to prepare walls for painting

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects