Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to learn basic DIY practical skills?

zubairsultan
Finding My Feet

How to learn basic DIY practical skills?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the community, and I am enjoying learning about DIY skills. I want to get some hands-on skills like using power tools like I have never used drill before. How can I get these practical skills and get hands on experience? I am working full time so can attend workshops/small training sessions but will not be able to attend full time course.

Any recommendations will be really appreciated. Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Zubair

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to learn basic DIY practical skills

Hello @zubairsultan 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about learning D,I.Y. skills.

Welcome to the beginning of your do-it-yourself journey! I encourage you to explore our How To section, where you'll discover fantastic projects with step-by-step instructions to guide you. Additionally, check out the Essential hand tools for D.I.Y. beginners, which will equip you with the basic tools needed to start building.

Familiarizing yourself with the basic tools first will give you a much better foundation on how to use power tools.

A great way to gain hands-on experience is to embark on a DIY project yourself. Consider starting with something as simple as a D.I.Y. plant stand. This project is beginner-friendly, requiring no power tools and minimal materials. By completing this basic project, you'll familiarize yourself with fundamental concepts and skills essential for larger undertakings.

Above all, don't hesitate to seek assistance. If you have any questions about your project, feel free to post them here. Our members are eager to provide advice and information. And once your project is finished, remember to share it!

For additional guidance, you can find our best advice on learning woodworking in this link: How do you learn woodworking?

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL ,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. It is the exact sort of thing that I wanted to do. I will start with understanding basic tools and then will complete DIY plant stand. I have seen that are other small projects that I can take to enhance my DIY skills. Bunnings workshop seems a great place to me to start learning DIY. Thanks heaps.

Kind regards,

Zubair

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zubairsultan 

We look forward to seeing your first project. If you have any questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects