Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh my shower base?

NewDIY
Just Starting Out

How to refresh my shower base?

Hello,

Would like to refresh my shower base but unsure what it's made of. Tried testing with a fridge magnet but was inconclusive. There's terrible staining and scratches/crazing. 

20220824_163952.jpg

20220824_164132.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: shower base refresh

Hello @NewDIY

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your shower tray.

I'm sorry to hear the magnet test was inconclusive. I suggest doing the sandpaper test, grab yourself some sandpaper and carefully sand a small corner of the shower tray. Two things will happen, you either sand the surface paint off and reach the steel body of the tray or you end up with white plastic powder. If after a minute of intense sanding and you don't see any steel, odds are it is an acrylic tray.  

If it is a steel tray, I recommend White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint as an option to revamp the finish. However, if it is acrylic, I'm afraid you'll have no choice but to remove it and replace it with a new one. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shower tray refreshed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects