Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to regrout bathroom shower tile?

RB
Getting Established

How to regrout bathroom shower tile?

Hi,

We have a gap in our grouting in our shower, just wondering what is the best solution to re gout & waterproof these tiles.

gap is just above bottom tilegap is just above bottom tilenormal tile with no gapnormal tile with no gap

Thankyou

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to re grout/over grout bathroom shower tile

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RB. It's tremendous that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question on re-grouting tiles.

If the grout in that section is compromised and falling out, then you really should cut it out and chase it back along the grout line until you reach a solid section. If this area was never filled properly, you could just grout over it.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful: How to remove groutHow to grout wall tiles and How to seal grout. Once you're done repairing the area, you might like to refresh all your grout lines with Selleys 280g Grout Stain Whitener.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RB
Getting Established

Mitchell,

Thank you so much for your response, much appreciated.

RB

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Shout out if you run into any difficulties @RB. We're here to help.

Mitchell

RB
Getting Established

Great thanks Mitchell, I do have another question. How do you remove silicone sealant from a shower & best way to re silicone shower.

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@RB,

I'd try a Monarch Caulk & Sealant Remover first, and any residual silicone can be removed with Selleys 375g Silicone Remover. Best to try avoiding the chemical product if possible as it can get a bit messy. Sometimes you can find just running a flexible blade box cutter behind the silicone bead from the top and bottom allows you to peel out that quadrant.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to apply bathroom sealant.

Mitchell

RB
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell for this information

RB
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

I have been looking at the Davco range of grout. I like this range as it is low VOC. Just wondering if you can recommend the best grout in there range for our situation. We will remove the grout in area's where the grout has worn away quite a bit or there are small gaps like in the photo I sent you. There are areas that are still in pretty good condition. So we are just wanting to re gout older areas where the grout has recessed. It is in a shower over a bath tub if that helps.

Thanks RB

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RB

I would recommend the Davco 1.5kg White Sanitized Colourgrout to re-grout your tiled area. If you are just patching certain areas you can use the Dunlop 800g Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout - White. I suggest using the QEP Carbide Grout Saw to remove the old grout. Clean the tile gap using the Sabco Soft Grip Grout Brush before applying new grout. 

Please keep us updated, we would be keen to see the regrouted wall once it's finished.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

RB
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Our bathroom is fairly old, I posted some photo's with original post. There is a fine gap in some tiles as seen in photo I sent through & we have since found a small hole in part of the grout. There are some areas where the grout has receded & other areas where the grout is in good condtion. Just wondering do you think it is best to regrout the whole shower or just the areas that are of concern ( We would use a gout saw to remove grout in the area of concern). I would like to use the Davco grout with Eco Smart & Low VOC, can I still use the  Davco 1.5kg White Sanitized Colourgrout if we are only doing part of the shower. It would be approximatley 1/4 or 1/3 of the shower. If not can you recommend another Davco Eco Smart product if you think it is ok just to re grout part of the shower. Thanks RB

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects