Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove sunken shower base?

catstuff
Getting Established

How to remove sunken shower base?

Ensuite/bedroom addition built around 1990 on a 1970s house.

The shower is built sunk into the slab floor approx 40mm. (whole house is on slab).

The corner tiles are crazed on inner wall and one on outside wall is fractured.

Can this pit be raised to floor level to replace with a modern screen or relocate to another corner of this tiny ensuite?

Thank you.

IMG_7964.jpgIMG_7970.jpgIMG_7971.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove sunken shower base?

Hello @catstuff

Thank you for sharing your question about removing your sunken shower base. Removing the tiles in the sunken base means that it will compromise the waterproofing that is underneath it. Removing the floor tiles mean that the wall tiles must be removed as well so that a new coat of waterproofing can be placed over your wet area. 

But before you place the new waterproofing on you need to fill the sunken area with Australian Builders 20kg Concrete Mix. Filling the sunken area is not an issue, putting in the proper fall is. A proper fall must be placed on the new floor so that water will not puddle in the shower area. This is a very challenging installation project, I suggest engaging the services of a professional bathroom tiler.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
catstuff
Getting Established

Thank you Eric.  Anyone we have shown or discussed about the job, I sensed a reluctance to get involved.

I thought the problem was joining old sunken base to new fill so great news that it can be done!

We would definitely use tradies.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @catstuff

I'm glad my suggestions helped. Your tradie will possibly recommend a product to prep the top of your sunken shower base before putting on the Builders Mix.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects