Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate this bathroom?

fatdumpling
Finding My Feet

How to renovate this bathroom?

Hi all,

I am thinking of updating our bathroom. I like the large vanity with plenty of storage space and the window. Not a fan of our shower cabin with white tiles and white base, which have aged and have yellow stains that I just can not remove. I want to have modern shower with rainbow shower head and a wall recess. Current shower cabin is V shaped ( I assume it was done to maximise floor space and so that shower door would not hit the toilet)

Would you advice to change then layout of the bathroom ? (I would prefer not to change plumbing to cut cost down) Is there anything else you would advice to modernise it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom reno adviuce

Hi @fatdumpling,

Could you please tell our members a little more about your project goals? Are you hoping to improve the area's aesthetics or complete a more thorough renovation, including replacing the vanity and tiles and updating the shower recess? 

I'd recommend you have a read through this helpful article: How to plan a bathroom renovation

The first thing that qualifies the renovation level is how adamant you're about having a wall recess/niche in the shower. This requires penetrating the water-proofing behind the wall and will mean the shower recess and tiles need to come off to re-waterproof behind. This then becomes a chain reaction, and your entire bathroom water-proofing must be re-done so there is one continuous layer across the whole bathroom. All tiles need to come off the floor for this water-proofing. At this point, you might as well consider doing a complete bathroom renovation. I know this sounds extreme, but a wall niche inside a shower recess needs to be planned into a bathroom and can't be added easily as an aesthetical improvement to an existing one.

Layout-wise, you're working with a relatively small space, and given the current fixtures, it might be best to work with what you have and concentrate your efforts on aesthetical improvements. You could replace the existing shower screen with a more modern frameless version. I'd also look at replacing the vanity or at least painting the timber white and updating the handles. Due to the vanity being recessed and very slim, it might be challenging to find a direct replacement, which is why I mention painting. The timber, I feel, dates the room significantly.

Although the toilet is relatively new, I'd consider replacing it with a close-coupled variety if it's not already.

The yellow stains on your tiles will likely be the biggest hurdle to overcome, and I'd recommend you consult with a professional about how this could be addressed. As mentioned, as soon as tiles start coming up, you are already into a significant renovation.

Let me mention one of our seasoned experts @redbournreno to see if she has any suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank  you for  your reply.

Shower recess is desirable but it is not a necessity. 

My main issue is the shower, its stained base and tiles. I think would be happy if i can improve the aesthetics but just was not sure whether to repaint the tiles/base of shower and how long the paint will last with daily showers. If repainting them will not last a long time, then I think I may need to change the tiles and do a complete reno. 

Thanks again for your advice, it was very helpful :smile:

Hi @fatdumpling,

It is challenging for coatings to adhere to tiles in a high humidity environment such as the shower. The build-up of soap scum on the base of a shower also inhibits their ability to bind sufficiently. There are paints like the Rust-Oleum Tile Transformation System, which can be used on wall tiles in a shower, but it's not suitable for the floor tiles.

What products have you tried to remove the staining on the base and tiles?

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @fatdumpling 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. One of the reasons an angled shower was installed in your bathroom is so that the shower door can fully extend open without hitting the edge of the vanity top. However, it shouldn't stop you from installing a regular square-shaped shower stall. You'll just need to be aware that the shower door will possibly reach the edge of the vanity top. 

Your vanity looks to be in good condition and I think painting it white is a fantastic suggestion. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of what your bathroom will look like with a white aluminium framed shower stall. If you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

fatdumpling shower reno1.jpg

I have tried general bathroom surface cleaner, mould killer and vinegar solution. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @fatdumpling

Thank you for that extra information on what you used on your tile surface. One other suggestion I can recommend is re-grouting the tiled area. Sometimes the grout colour has faded and has slowly turned to dirty white and now blends in with the colour of the tile. A grout refresh can sometimes give the tiles a facelift as the contrast between tile and grout becomes very prominent.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the tiles inside the shower? This will give us a chance to assess its condition. We can then make suggestions on which direction to take regarding your bathroom renovation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @fatdumpling 

You have a cute bathroom there that has already made great use of space.

I agree with @MitchellMc in that a shower recess and new tiled base is a very big undertaking, that is almost as costly on it's own as changing the plumbing might be. So if you want to venture down that route then a whole redesign of the bathroom to get the best layout is probably worthwhile.

If you don't want to go down that complicated route then the only real solution is to have a moulded shower base - which means you won't need new waterproofing. That would keep the layout how @EricL has shown, and keep the cost down.

I strongly recommend that you don't try to pain the shower base. New wall paint colour, painting the timber work on the ceiling, sink and tub paint for the vanity, and painting the timber parts of the vanity a modern colour will do wonders. A final coat with marine laquer might be a good idea for the timber.

The shower is a bit trickier. You could try these shower units

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rick-mclean-s-bathware-1000-x-1000mm-curved-euro-right-hand-frameless-sh...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rick-mclean-s-bathware-curved-euro-frameless-left-hand-shower-screen-and...

or there are some squared=off screens with sliding doors at the corner from other suppliers that you could install on top of a shower base from Bunnings.

and paint your tiles within the shower with the Dulux, White Knight or Rustoleum ranges. Make sure you follow the tile paint instructions to the letter and have then very clean before you start.

Paint will be your best friend on this one. You are lucky the floor tiles are nice.

Best wishes with the project.

Yes of course, here are photos of the tiles and shower base

I am not sure if tiles were painted before and now paint is coming off or is it just very stubborn stain 

IMG_1931.JPGIMG_1932.JPGIMG_1930.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @fatdumpling

Thank you very much for posting those photos of your shower area. I now have a better understanding when you say that your tiles have been stained. At this point, any number of things could have caused the tile staining. It could be your grout was sealed and it has reacted to a chemical cleaner you were using. The porcelain surface could have been damaged allowing water staining to occur and as you've mentioned, age could also be a factor.

I believe it now comes down to how you wish to proceed. A cosmetic upgrade with the Rust-Oleum Tile Transformation System is definitely an option. But you'll not be able to paint your shower tray as it is only rated for wall tiles. The option of regrouting is no longer on the menu as the stains on the tiles are too prominent. The last option is to remove your existing shower and have it professionally water-proofed and re-tiled with a new shower. The plus of the last suggestion is that you get to have that shower nook you were asking for.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your bathroom renovation.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects