Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a shower wall?

L4l
Getting Established

How to replace a shower wall?

Hi. Is anyone out here who can advise me on where to get a return of 1000x2000? Please. I made a blunder by ordering the wrong item. Then I thought I'd fix the 3 panels but it doesn't suit the purpose and space. Now I want to take 1 panel+it's wall out and put a return! If I don't get a return of 1000x2000 is there another way to use a narrower one than 1000?  Advise on that too.

Please.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom return wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @L4l. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about a bathroom return wall.

It sounds like you might need to provide a little more information on these bathroom returns walls, which products you've chosen, whether they were Special Order items, and show us some images.

I am uncertain exactly what these return walls are, but I presume they might be glass shower screens

If you could also post some pictures of the room and perhaps draw a plan view diagram of your proposed alterations to the wall, that would be immensely helpful when providing assistance. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
L4l
Getting Established

Here is a picture of my bathroom. The left wall is what I need to get rid of. Argh!! I was so desperate to get my bathroom completed that I asked the project guy to carry on with the three panels. To fix the left wall, we had to construct another wall. I am so disappointed in myself for making this decision. At anyrate, that left wall+panel needs to come out and add a return [glass] instead. I see that Bunnings is selling 900x2000 shower return but I require 1000x2000.    What a waste but it has to be done.  Apologies. I did buy it from Mitre10. And it took nearly 4 months to get everything together. Still I got it wrong.

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 16.09.15.pngScreenshot 2023-07-16 at 16.08.58.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Was there an image of the room as well, @L4l? We got the Shower alcove one. We really need an image of the room and the adjustment details to offer useful advice.

Mitchell

L4l
Getting Established

20230716_204312.jpg

20230716_204226.jpg

L4l
Getting Established

So.... I stopped after it looked so ugly with the left wall & panel. Argh!! I need to get it off and replace with glass panel. W1000 x H 1995 (but I don't mind 2000) ... we checked today and couldn't find the return only.... It was sad that M10 wanted to sell me again a door & Panel.... when I already have the door! 😭

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @L4l,

Glass panels are typically used for frameless showers; they prevent water from exiting the shower area and falling on the floor. You have a preformed shower alcove that is designed to go into a space with a wall on three sides. If you were to remove the wall and install a glass panel, you'd see through it to the pre-fabricated unit and under the base. What did the outside of the alcove base look like before the wall? I'd also imagine the alcove requires three walls, and they are generally not free-standing units. The wall provides structural support to the alcove, which a glass panel won't. You can't remove a panel from the alcove, as that would cause all sorts of issues with waterproofing. 

The wall doesn't look very nice at the moment, but I'm sure it would look just fine with matching tiles. I would suggest that at this point if you wanted a semi-frameless shower, you'd need to remove the wall and the whole alcove and replace it.

If you were to go ahead with your idea, the closest glass panel we have is the Mondella 10 x 2000 x 1175mm Glass Frameless Shower Panel, but it's 175mm too wide.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

L4l
Getting Established

Thanks. It would have been possible with Bunnings 900m wide panel but NZ - no one sells a floor to ceiling support pole as shown in the picture below. Hence, I'll have to remove the panels and place another door and return.

1. Atleast my tradie could have given me some suggestions. Or he could have seen everything before going ahead with the project to make a last-minute check of what I wanted was there. I'm sure a little jogging of my brain power and I wouldn't have gone ahead with the task in the first place. Then I could exchange it with another.

2. Due to my desperation, the desire to have my space back and get rid of the tradies quickly out of my space, I made the wrong choice.

3. Remember, folks...use my experience as a lesson. hard lesson.

4. Tradie now playing up and started to charge hourly. Regardless of the contracted quote. I have no energy to fight. Hoping to get things done in the weekends coming up. And reduce labour costs. Lesson learned.

Thankyou @MitchellMc for making an effort to help. Much appreciated.

L4l
Getting Established

The picture of ceiling to floor pole---Bunnings you can be the first to provide thisScreenshot 2023-07-23 at 19.47.59.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the feedback, @L4l; I'll pass it on to the merchandise team.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects