Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal floor for laundry & mudroom renovation?

Jobarty
Just Starting Out

How to seal floor for laundry & mudroom renovation?

We have an enclosed area of the verandah we are looking at making into a laundry/ mudroom. Floor is concrete. What would be the best coating to use to make the concrete easy to clean (sweep & mop).? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: laundry & mudroom renovation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jobarty. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Were you thinking of a paint type product and if so did you want a clear coat or a tinted colour? You might be interested in reading Epoxy garage floor project by @maknilsin where they show the application of an epoxy coating over concrete. If you wanted to keep the concrete look you could clear coat it with Crommelin 4L Diamondcoat Exposed Aggregate And Polished Concrete Clear Sealer

Although these concrete coatings will make the surface easier to clean their finish will depend on how smooth the current concrete is. If the concrete is particularly rough then the finished coated surface will still have a texture to it.

Here's a step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorial on How to paint concrete floors which I trust you'll find helpful in this process.

If you would like, I trust our members would be interested in seeing your layout of the mudroom and offering advice on the rest of the project as well.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your response. I’ve looked at the garage floor project you mentioned and it wasn’t clear if the epoxy coating that was used would be suitable for an area that gets wet. Are the coatings you mentioned waterproof and slip resistant?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jobarty,

For the laundry, I would specifically recommend the Rust-oleum Rocksolid range as they even specify "Ideal for laundry rooms" on their packaging. I've also contacted the manufacturer to confirm its suitability. There is Rust-oleum Rocksolid Anti Slip Additive which can be used to provide a slip-resistant surface to the product.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects