Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile a shower tray (or base)?

AxelDIYer
Getting Established

How to tile a shower tray (or base)?

Hi

I have checked out this tiling job as named above, to help with my complete shower make-over in the ensuite.

As I am a complete novice when it comes to anything but simple tiling, I have the following questions.

1. Getting the fall correct - does the waterproof board under the tiles (blueboard?) need to have the fall to the back towards the outlet grate? 

2. What prevents the water from lodging against the back wall of the shower, instead of it all going into waste?

3. Does the fall really need to be centered towards the outlet (funnel type) and how is this done with the blueboard?

4. There is no mention of grouting ?

5. Would a prefab shower base be much easier (with optional tiling over the base)? I was thinking about a walk in type but this may present too much complexity for me.

6. Finally - is it possible to get complete new shower kits from Bunnings ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to tile a shower tray (or base)?

Hi @AxelDIYer,

If you were to have the showerhead moved to the same wall as the taps, then you could install a Mondella 10 x 2000 x 600mm Glass Frameless Shower Panel. My only concern would be that water might still escape the shower recess as the panel is only 600mm wide. The next size up is the Mondella 10 x 2000 x 875mm Glass Frameless Shower Panel , but that only leaves 290mm for entrance, whicheeeeenought enough room. 

Let me tag @EricL to see if he has other thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell

I had considered this possibility but like you thought about the narrow opening for access.

Maybe a custom made size of 750-800 might be better?

Looking at a prefab base, with raised edge - so not quite as good as a walk in type?

I visited a local Bunnings yesterday to have a look at possible shower door screens.

Special Order desk just basically said I would need to do special order for any door type.

So now I am considering one of

- Sliding door with 2 or 3 panels

- SIngle Door (might also have a smaller panel to match size - we have one in our main bathroom

Not sure if Bunnings have these or anything else suitable - but I know these door types are available.

Also interested in looking at splash back type walls instead of tiles?

What type of waterproofing will be required for walls and base?

Regards

AxelDIYer 

Hi @AxelDIYer,

A custom-made door is certainly an option, but everything non-standard obviously incurs an additional fee.

Raised edge bases are certainly fine, but walk-in styles are typically more on-trend.

Wet area wall panels are a great choice and save an incredible amount of work with tiling. They're not affected as badly by mould and scum and are very easy to keep clean.

You'll need to consult with a licensed water-proofer on what needs to be done. Typically waterproofing of a bathroom is completed in a single layer, so you might need to remove all your floor tiles. This would be the case for a walk-in shower.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell

I understand from staff at local Bunnings that they don't do door only panels as standard stock - must be done as a Special Order, where as other suppliers do them as standard.

If I go for a walk in type shower - would you recommend the tile over base, rather than hassle of screeding to get correct fall into waste. 

This is where I got confused with the Bunnings video of "How to tile a Shower Base" which clearly shows the blueboard base being tiled over (and I wondered how the water would flow into the waste, without screeding on top of blueboard??

Back to planning stage.

Regards

AxelDIYer

Hi @AxelDIYer,

Due to the wide range of available shower screen panels, many are Special Order products.

A tile over base can certainly be helpful to get levels correct. 

I've looked at the Hot To guide, and it appears to me that it shows a screeded base that has been waterproofed with a blue waterproofing membrane. You'll find the screeding process in this step-by-step guide: How to screed a shower base.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

I've just looked at all the steps listed again for the topic "How to tile a shower tray (or base)"

Only reference to getting the fall right is "The most important thing is to maintain the fall of the floor, so the water drains away"

No mention of screeding / even in the materials list.

A beginner like me could never have realised that there is a "hidden" step to apply screed over the base to get fall right.

Maybe I'm looking at a different topic to you ?

I just suggest that all tips, how to guides provided should provide full details to "learners" like me. (non tradies).

Anyway still making inquiries about shower set-up, including base options and waterproofing - may leave this part to the "tradies".

Regards

AxelDIYer

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AxelDIYer 

Thanks for the feedback regarding the guide. I agree that mentioning screeding would be handy for those who are thinking of tiling a shower floor with a fall. I'll make sure to pass on your suggestion to the team.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects