Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it possible to fix this kind of damage without replacing the toilet?

JYinLaw
Finding My Feet

Is it possible to fix this kind of damage without replacing the toilet?

Accidentally poke a hole on the toilet as shown on the picture, is it possible to fix it without replacing the whole thing?n79z1gifmoj81.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it possible to fix this kind of damage without replacing the toilet?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JYinLaw. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question about repairing your toilet.

It appears that you could patch that damage as it should be an aesthetical repair. Is any water coming out of the hole when you flush the toilet?

You can use this PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. It's a two-part putty that you mix together and has a similar consistency to Playdough. I'd suggest you fill in a couple of applications as if you apply too much, it will be hard to sand back and remove.

Apply some painter's tape around the damaged hole before starting the repair. This will stop you from getting excess putty on the surrounding ceramic. Ideally, you'll like to fill and smooth the area off before the putty hardens. It sets rather quickly, so mix it until the colour is consistent and push it into the hole. You won't need very much. Once it's in position, dip a finger in slightly soapy water and run it over the area to smooth the putty. Be extremely careful not to cut your finger on the broken ceramic. Get all the putty inside the hole and flush with the surface. It's best not to spread the putty out and over the surface of the ceramic.

This putty is a grey colour once mixed up. If you want something specifically designed for ceramic, you can touch it up with  Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit, if you're not too fussed use White Knight Strokes 100ml Gloss White Enamel Paint. Since it's such a small area it might be worth just going with the White Knight enamel paint.

I've put a cut-away rendering together below to better illustrate the finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yes, water does come out of that hole when I flash, in that case will this solution still work? or should I try something else

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm reasonably confident this fix will still work for you @JYinLaw. Just make sure to let the filler fully cure before flushing the toilet. I'd give it at least a couple of hours.

Mitchell

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How'd you go with the putty @JYinLaw? Did it manage to fix the issue?

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects