Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry and toilet renovation

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

Laundry and toilet renovation

E5E7B44D-9019-489B-ACE5-2799E944DF37.jpeg

5B2BBA3A-C973-4A0D-991B-AFE14E4AA4ED.jpeg

  

5C017161-D83B-428C-92B8-16A5DF094F04.jpeg

First of all thanks workshop community for helping and guiding towards successful renovation of my bathroom. 

I have an old house which has a laundry and toilet attached to main building and both have a separate door. The dimensions of toilet are 2400*1000mm and dimension for Laundry are 2400*1350mm. 

I plan to remove the middle wall and keep only door. I also plan to add a shower area to the new space created(2400*2400 roughly) after removing the wall.  The ceiling height is a concern and it seems cant install big exhaust fan in that so it will to go in wall. Is this enough space for bathroom, toilet and laundry combo or it should not install the shower area inside this one. Suggestions are welcome. I have uploaded the images.image12 (3).jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Laundry and toilet renovation

Looks like a good project @Justlucky2k2. Let me tag the wonderful @redracer01 who might like to kick off the discussion for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

I suggest closing off the toilet door and create a shower wet area in that corner in front of the toilet. Keep the toilet where it is so that you don't have to pay extra plumbing for moving the toilet waste pipe. Remove the traditional laundry tub and make sure to get a good deal on it on gumtree. Transfer the laundry tapware to the other side where the washing machine is. remove your current pantry and replace with a narrow unit. This gives the illusion that the room is bigger. a nice bright bench top will always give the room a bigger feel, same goes with the laundry cabinets. Give your bathroom a nice modern touch with an above counter basin along with a goose neck basin mixer. Let's not forget the towel rail and the exhaust fan. I've placed timber looking tiles for your flooring so that it does not look so harsh and gives it a nice organic feel that goes with the style of the house, we don't want it to look too modern. I suggest re-lining the entire bathroom with gib aqualine for maximum protection. As for your wet area full water proofing for the entire shower area. It is very important that you have adequate ventilation in your shower area, I suggest a whirly bird right on top of the roof and an intake grill on the ceiling. This will provide continuous air flow in the laundry area and prevent moisture buildup which leads to mold growth and infestation. Placing a timber louver vent at the bottom of your current bathroom door will also provide added ventilation. I suggest LED running lights in moisture proof casings to provide illumination in your new bathroom. Keep the hot and cold taps for your shower, curious you say? It is much easier to repair a traditional pair of hot and cold taps with new jumper valves than to call out a plumber and tear out half your tiling to repair a faulty integrated shower mixer. But in this matter the choice is yours. I've measured the shower at 900 x 900 and placed a standard glass panel at 1800 x 900. My final suggestion is to reverse the opening of your bathroom door from going in to coming out. This will allow you to place cabinets all the way up to the frame of the door without having to worry about door clearance. Enjoy the pictures,  tell me what you think. Cheers!

2k2a.jpg2k2b.jpg2k2c.jpguse tile in waste to make the shower waste disapearuse tile in waste to make the shower waste disapear2k2e.jpgtook the wall off so that you can see the laundry lay out bettertook the wall off so that you can see the laundry lay out better2k2shower side.jpg2k2top.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Great design as always @redracer01. This would be a fantastic project. Let us know what you think @Justlucky2k2.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

@Jason @redracer01 First of all my apologies for not responding for so long. I had some personal circumstances. That is a great design @redracer01 my wife loved it so much. You are a gem. Thank you so much. I have not started this project yet and i will some more time to initiate it. I will keep you posted about the progress. 

@Justlucky2k2 please keep us updated and post some pictures if and when you do start this project. I'm sure everyone would like to follow along with you.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects