Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry glow-up

theDIYedit
Making a Splash

Laundry glow-up

I thought I would share my just-finished laundry renovation. I bought a house in 2020, and although she is only 18 years old, she has been neglected her entire life as an investment property with zero maintenance. I have taken on the task of a full house renovation, tackling one room at a time, in-between working full-time and running a small business! The laundry was as basic as you can get, with a laundry trough mounted in a single metal cabinet. At some point, someone had helpfully shoved a pantry unit in there to help with the storage issues! I had a wish list of laundry goals - bench space for organising the washing and the drying, cabinetry for much needed storage, a large sink, and tying in functionality with form. The main brief was that it had to look good, so that I enjoyed doing the laundry and spending time in there! 

I spent a lot of time perfecting the design on the 3D Kaboodle design planner - such a great visual aid and it was so useful! I actually found it very user-friendly. My budget was pretty tight, so to help get more bang for my buck, I chose the 'paint your own' raw board doors from the Kaboodle range. I painted the doors and filler / end panels in Dulux Lexicon Quarter. Aside from the plumbing (roughing out new pipework to move the location of the taps and washer connections) and electrics (moving / adding power-points), My husband and I painted, built and installed everything ourselves. We're pretty handy, but have never done anything on this scale before! The bench tops were in the 'Frosted Oak' finish, using a square edge profile. We had never turned our hands to tiling before, but we jumped on the Bunnings website and watched the tiling tutorials. We went to our local store, bought the equipment, and we never looked back! 

I hope you like what we've achieved, as we're pretty thrilled. 

IMG_5691.JPG

IMG_5226.jpgIMG_5225.jpgIMG_6744.jpgIMG_6749.jpgIMG_6852.JPGIMG_6373.jpgIMG_7225.jpgIMG_5717.jpgIMG_5693.JPGIMG_5721.JPG

mazandchris
Growing in Experience

Re: Laundry glow-up

Great job! The laundry looks awesome! The tiles and cabinetry ❤️❤️❤️
Amazing what something can go from looking like and change into a space that looks incredible! Give yourself a massive pat on the back, for a job well done 👍 

StevoStevo
Just Starting Out

@theDIYedit 

Congratulations. The laundry looks sensational!!!  I'm looking at doing up my laundry. By guessing the cabinet sizes, my laundry is probably the same size as yours. (2,430mm long)  I'm new to this(1st post & 1st reno), so please excuse any silly questions. Where did you place the power point for the washer & dryer?  This there any annoying rattle with the machines under the bench?  The answer to this is probably "no" considering how great it looks, but would you have done anything differently? Any special tricks or potential issues to be aware of?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @StevoStevo. It's sensational to have you join us, and great to hear about your project plans.

I'm sure @theDIYedit will be pleased to hear you've found their project inspirational. Just remember there are no silly questions, and we're all here to help.

Typically, you'll find the powerpoint and water outlets mid-wall, which doesn't really lend itself to this beautifully streamlined look. One of the first things to do is have a plumber and electrician come in and lower the outlets below the proposed bench height. That gets them out of sight and ready to connect your appliances later in the project.

It's generally best to allow at least a tiny gap around your washer and drier to prevent them from touching the surrounding cabinetry. If you do experience some rattling, there's a variety of rubber bumpers that can be used to minimise any noise.

I'll be keen to hear what other advice @theDIYedit can provide, and I look forward to following your project. Be sure to check out How to plan a laundry renovation for some great tips and see our Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects for inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @StevoStevo , I am so sorry for the delayed response! Thank you for your kind words. 😊 Yes, my laundry size is pretty similar - I think about 2700mm give or take. No question is a silly question, and I'll help out where I can! To the left of the washing machine in the base cupboard, this is where a double power socket was placed for the washer and dryer. We created another double socket within the splash back near the long cupboard for plugging in the iron etc. The rattling was a concern of mine too, but we just made sure that there was enough space within the area so that the machine wouldn't be snug against the panels for it to vibrate against. The benchtop doesn't touch the top of the machine. I think that as long as you adjust the washer feet so the machine is on a stable base, this should eliminate any rattling or movement. 

For tip or tricks - the only one that I feel is a must is to install a long pantry-style cupboard! This has been a god-send for storing the ironing board, mop and vac. We also installed another power point within that cupboard for the stick vac to be wall-mounted and it could charge at the same time. 

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help with! 

Mishmash
Building a Reputation

Love this. Very similar to what we did in our previous house flip. 
so great guys, great work, and design .

Wy
Growing in Experience

Lovely job! How much did this cost you?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wy

Let me tag @theDIYedit to make them aware of your kind words and question. I totally agree, it is a fantastic transformation. It's one of my favourite revamps because of the combination of the cabinetry, bench top and tiles. Are you planning on doing something similar? If you are, please make sure to post an update, I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you'll be transforming your laundry.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @Wy ! For the Kaboodle cabinetry, benchtop and fittings, it was $3000. I'm more than happy to share other costs with you, but we also renovated a WC off the laundry which was included in the total budget. I did splurge on the tiles and the sink as well for example, so a similar laundry renovation could also be done for less than what I'd spent. 😊

@theDIYedit 

@EricL thanks for the tag! 😊

Here4thehacks
Getting Established

@theDIYedit This is stunning!! Love the tile choice! Do you mind providing info on what paint you used for your cupboards? Did you use the dulux renovation range or something else? Thanks 😊 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects