Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry in a cupboard

elly1
Cultivating a Following

Laundry in a cupboard

My laundry is in a cupboard in my bathroom. It is currently enclosed with a plastic like concertina door with 2 sliding cupboards above.

Any ideas to spruce this up?

Considering a front loader when my very old machine dies, I could then have some bench space

IMG20191010150827.jpg

IMG20191010150706.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Laundry in a cupboard

I suggest perhaps to remove the top wall cabinets for maximum space use. One drawing has wall cabinets the other has a giant mirror but with multiple shelves. It's up to you which one you would prefer.

Elly1.jpgElly2.jpgElly3.jpgElly4.jpgElly5.jpgElly6.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @elly1,

Moving to a front loader would be a smart move. They are gentler on your clothes, too! And as usual, @redracer01 has made a fantastic suggestion about removing those overhead cupboards.

Our laundry is behind bifolds (to the right of the pendant lights in our kitchen area in the photo below). 

Laundry1.JPG  

Not a great quality shot, but here's a photo with the doors almost fully open so you can see inside... The right hand side is obscured by the bifolds in this shot but has a full height broom cupboard. 

laundry2.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve with your "spruce up"!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I need to come up with a kitchen or bathroom project just so I can get some personalised designs from @redracer01. I really admire your handiwork mate. Great stuff.  

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Very nice kitchen Jason! I take it you chose the pendant lights!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Many thanks, my wonderful wife found the pendant lights at a market @redracer01 well before we started our reno. We have since been told they are French and we got a bargain. They are perhaps not to everyone's taste but we love them, and are a bit of a nod to the retro style of the front section of our house. 

You can see what we started with here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Kitchen/1970s-kitchen-renovation/m-p/411 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks mate!

elly1
Cultivating a Following

Thank you redracer01 I love these designs, definitely feeling inspired now! Jason what width is your laundry? I really like the floor to ceiling bifold. My laundry cavity measures 1560 wide and my current machine is 650 (not sure if front loaders are narrower) so I would still have at least 900 to play with. Being such an odd width I assume I will need everything custom made? Thx for your input guys 😀
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @elly1 - you’ve got some great suggestions there, especially from @redracer01 - who’s a whizz at maximising space.

I have a Fisher Paykel front loader and I’ve just measured it - 595mm wide x 550mm deep x 850mm tall. I switched from a top loader to a front loader. So this was great for being able to run a bench top above it, but you have to make sure you’ve got clearance for opening the door on the machine, the clearance on mine that is needed is 435mm - and that’s the minimum. I think you just have to consider where the machine is placed in relation to where the doors fold back to. In my laundry, the machine door and the bifold all ended up in the same space (my bi-folds were centred) - so I’ve removed them, and considering whether I will replace them or not, cheers Deb :smile:

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @elly1 

These are standard kaboodle cabinets. Yes you have enough space. No you dont need custom cabinets or benchtops. The makeover should conservatively cost about 700 to 800 dollars. Tile and paint included. Get the louver doors from facebook market. 30 bucka for a full set I once saw! Good luck.Oh i did forgwt your new washer, about 699 for an 8kg model on google.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects