Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry reno

dinaandjake
Building a Reputation

Laundry reno

1091AF43-986A-45D5-A183-267753DC9FAB.jpeg

073D0022-9EC8-4464-ADC6-8EB711E3D35A.jpeg

886EFABA-1B6D-4564-839D-A77424925BCC.jpeg

We have been wanting to renovate our laundry for so long, we have decent space but it wasn’t utilised well at all. When we recently had a baby, the need for a dryer and a benchtop was real and meant we finally decided to give our laundry reno a go DIY! It turned out so much better than expected. Couple of points on how we achieved this for anyone wanting to give something similar a go:

1. As we were on a strict budget and our existing floor tiles were in fair condition, we ended up simply painting them using Dulux’s renovation range. This was a quick and and easy process and made a huge impact. I’m curious to see how well they will hold up long term but doing ok so far (even with our dog walking all over them). 

2. We ended up just using Bunnings’ flatpax range for the cabinetry. All the white cabinetry only cost us about $600 and we are really happy with it. We did replace the hinges that were included for soft close hinges and we are waiting on some black handles to come in which we feel lifted the functionality/look of a cheap alternative. 

3. The benchtop and shelves are simply a merbau panel that we cut to size and varnished (using Cabots benchtop clear) - absolutely love the look of them and they were such a cheap alternative

4. Hubby learnt some new skills and installed the tiled splashback himself after watching lots of how-to videos. We used mosaic tiles from Bunnings and also hired an electric tile cutter/wet saw from Bunnings which made the job a lot easier than attempting to cut the tiles individually by hand. 

All in all, super happy with our first DIY reno! 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Laundry reno

Wow ! That looks great @dinaandjake  love the bench and cupboard 😍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Absolutely phenomenal, @dinaandjake! I can't believe that is the same space; you've done an astounding job.

Many thanks for sharing and the additional information on the build.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @dinaandjake,

Thanks for sharing your fantastic project with us. We featured it on Instagram and it's been very popular, with a few people interested in learning more about your renovation.

If you don't mind sharing, could you let us know the overall cost for this project, and more about the materials used? There was interest in the black brackets used for shelving, the sink, the Merbau panel for the benchtop and the Flatpax cabinetry.

Thanks,
Stevie

dinaandjake
Building a Reputation

Hi Stevie

So glad it was helpful! I’ve responded directly to the questions asked on the Instagram post. In terms of cost, this cost us about $3k in total. Cabinetry/benchtops/shelves approx $1,000, tiled splashback about $500, sink/tap/floor paint was $500 and we then spent about $1,000 on tradespeople (plumber to relocate taps/pipes, connect tap and sink etc and electrician to reallocate powerpoints). Please let us know if there is anything else that would be helpful to know :smile:

Cheers

Dina and Jake 

Thanks so much for sharing the cost with us and for taking the time to reply individually @dinaandjake. That's so kind of you and I'm sure that it will be really helpful for our community members and the wider community who follow along with the projects we feature on Instagram. 

Look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Stevie

funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

What a fantastic job. I like how the benchtop and shelves combine with the window sill and architraves. You must pleased with this job and the diy efforts to complete a more functional space. Well done. 

JasmineH
Cultivating a Following

You won't need the door now cause the laundry room looks so good. The tiling looks professional too, particularly a herringbone one. 😍

J@S
stacyc1982
Just Starting Out

Hi, great make over! 
Can you tell me how you’ve hidden the washing machine taps?

Thanks,

Stacy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @stacyc1982. We're pleased to have you join us.

Are you planning your own laundry renovation project? If so, we'd love to know more and provide some help, advice and inspiration along the way. Our clever and creative members are posting helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day.

Let me tag @dinaandjake so they are alerted to your question about their plumbing for the washing machine.   

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects