Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry renovation help!

cb13
Just Starting Out

Laundry renovation help!

Hi there! So I've had the whole of my house professionally renovated except the laundry, which sits at the back of the garage, but has a door to both the kitchen and outdoors at one end (at the end not pictured).

Except where I need a plumber or electrician, I'm planning on doing all of this myself, and I'd like to keep costs down by keeping the plumbing and electrical outlets where they are as much as possible.

My plan is to stack the washing machine and dryer at the end of the room on the left hand side (from the picture) - but I'd like to raise the washing machine on a plinth, and put a shelf in to sit the dryer on, rather than having them sitting on top of each other. 

I'd then like to run a bench from the right hand corner down to the external door (bottom right of the photo) with underbench cupboards and a news drop in sink, but in the same place it is now.

The floor is concrete - most of the house is on piers, but the garage through to the laundry is on concrete. I think this means I'll have difficulty putting new drainage in for the WM. (It's currently closest to the sink so the drain can run into the sink). 

The major issues I think I have here are:

- Can I extend the drain hose an extra metre or so to drain from the new WM position to the existing sink?

- How do I build a (15-20cm tall) plinth for the washing machine?

- Can I use an MDF shelf inside a tall cupboard to sit the dryer on? (It's your classic vents-through-the-front Simpson dryer)

I'd be grateful for anyone's advice on the issues I've raised, any other issues, or new design ideas. Also, sorry for the terrible photo - this was while I was still moving in!

IMG_20200518_191321.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry renovation help!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cb13. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

If you can provide some measurements of the room in the form of a plan, then I trust our helpful members will be able to put some renderings together for you. Please include the window in your sketch with details of the space either side of it on the wall.

What you have mentioned certainly sounds achievable. The washing machines drain hose can be routed behind the cabinetry with some custom holes to suit and extending it should not be an issue unless the manufacturer does not recommend it.

I'm a little confused about the plinth for the washing machine and MDF shelf inside a tall cupboard for the dryer. Did you just want to raise the height of the washing machine for ease of access? How would you like the cabinet, with MDF shelf fitted for the dryer, above the washing machine? I feel a quick sketch would be beneficial here to understand your plan.

We look forward to assisting with your laundry renovation and hearing more about the sizing and planned layout.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks so much for your starting advice - I've attached a plan with measurements.

I've changed my plan slightly, in that I'd like to put an upright freezer in next to the washing machine and dryer, and have a separate stand alone laundry cabinet next to the door.

My questions are:

- can anyone see any major issues with this current plan?

- what would be the best way to build a plinth for the washing machine?

PXL_20201025_035707223.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cb13,

The only issue I can see is that where the wall taps/outlets are for the washing machine they seem to impede your intended fridge location. You might need to have them moved or consider a slimline freezer option so they are still accessible.

A plinth could be easily constructed using 18mm thick plywood. You can have the team in-store cut a piece for the top and four additional strips for the sides at you required height. You would then simply glue and screw the pieces together.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell!

That sounds great - would you need to attach the plinth to the floor?

Also, if I wanted to create a new drain for the washing machine and not run the pipe around the room to the existing drain, could I build/drill one into the floor/wall? (Or rather, what would be the best option to get a plumber to do?)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@cb13,

It would be a good idea to attach it to the floor or have it sitting on rubber matting as it could try to vibrate out of position. You could use Carinya 50 x 50 x 20 x 2.5mm Zinc Plated Angle Bracket - 4 Pack and Ramset 6 x 60mm DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt - 4 Pack to hold it in place. I'd recommend fixing them onto the internal wall of the plinth base to keep them from view. The top of the plinth could be screwed down once they have been fixed.

I think it would be wise to ask a plumber what the best option would be to relocate drainage. There might be something close by they can tap into instead of going through the concrete slab. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to hard plumb drainage through the wall cavity over that distance. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects