Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Quickest way to spray tap set

MissKate
Just Starting Out

Quickest way to spray tap set

What is the quickest method of spray painting regular silver metal taps to a gold colour? Is there any paint that does not require sanding first?

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Quickest way to spray tap set

Hi @MissKate 

A very warm welcome to the community! It is great to have you join us and thank you for your question about spray painting your tapware. 

Let me tag community member @lifestylebymari, she did a great Featured Project about the same topic: Spray painted tapware | Bunnings Workshop community. Our resident DIY pro @EricL will be back tomorrow and can give more information as well. 

Do you have pictures of your current tapware? This can be super helpful to the community so they can give the best advice possible. 

In the meantime, check out this article: What are your tips for spray painting? | Bunnings Workshop community - it does mention sanding as a first step for the best performance outcome. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Quickest way to spray tap set

Hello @MissKate

Due to the nature of a chrome finish. It's not suitable to be spray-painted on directly. The body and handle of the tap must be sanded so that the paint will have something to grip on to. If you spray paint the tap now, it will pull in on itself and form patches. Once it dries it will flake off as soon as you touch it. I suggest sanding down one pair of taps to see how long it takes you to do one set. Once you have an idea of how long it takes, you can then schedule the rest of the taps in the house. 

I suggest using Dulux 300g Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak Light Grey. Once the primer is dry, you can then use your choice of gold spray paint. 

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Spray painted tapware by @lifestylebymari  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects