Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing the dry wall holes after removing tiles (vertical)

Sugar
Having an Impact

Fixing the dry wall holes after removing tiles (vertical)

Hi guys, 

I am at the planning stage of installing new tiles and a benchtop in my laundry room. I found this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX7eCAN-3-s) from Bunnings. I have a few questions before I commence my work. 

When the gentleman in the video starts taking the tiles off, there are some bigger holes on the wall created as he progressed on his task. I have put some screenshots from the video and indicated them by yellow rectangles. My question is how do we fix those big holes or prevent them from happening?

Sugar_0-1637118031746.pngSugar_1-1637118040028.pngSugar_3-1637118051745.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing the dry wall holes after removing tiles (vertical)

Hello @Sugar

Thanks for sharing your question about how to fix the drywall after removing the wall tiles.

It's good to know that you've taken interest in how to remove wall tiles. One of the ways to reduce the damage to your drywall is to use a Spear & Jackson 115mm Brick Bolster. You'll want to go slow and steady when tapping the bolster. The force of your blows must be directed to the tile glue and not into the drywall. In this manner, you'll minimize the damage and minimal force is directed to the wall. Using a flat demolition crowbar will put force on the wall when it's used in a levered action, thus causing damage.

However, sometimes it is unavoidable damage will occur when removing wall tiles. The good news is that any damage done to the wall can be repaired. New panels can be cut to the correct size and patched on to repair the damage. Once all the tiles are off, I suggest using UNi-PRO 100mm Heavy Duty Wall Stripper to remove the remaining tile glue on the wall. It sounds like you're planning a bathroom renovation. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. If you have any other questions about your project, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sugar
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL 

First of all, my apologies for replying so late. 

You are right, I am planning to do the bathroom renovation, but later. 

My first try is going to be on laundry make-over. I would like to learn first about laundry renovation. 

This is going to be one of the projects during my Christmas and New Year holiday.  

I am sure I will get back to you with other queries. 

Thank you in advance. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sugar

There are so many laundry projects that our Workshop members have shared. I suggest having a look at them and pick up ideas and inspiration from their builds. My number one recommendation is to measure and plan it out on paper or computer. This will give you a very good idea of how you want your laundry to look like. When you're ready, please don't hesitate to post any questions might have in mind for your laundry renovation.

Here is a handy link: Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects

We look forward to seeing your laundry plans.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects