Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retiling shower/bathtub wall: what the best approach to do it, and do I need to redo waterproofing?

aleksey
Finding My Feet

Retiling shower/bathtub wall: what the best approach to do it, and do I need to redo waterproofing?

Hi All,

I am planning to do a budget bathroom renovation, and I want to replace existing tiles in the shower/bathtub area. Can I just remove the old tiles and put new ones in the same place? Or will I need to deal with plastering (or whatever) and waterproofing?PXL_20210417_050313645.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20210417_050338057.NIGHT.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Retiling shower/bathtub wall: what the best approach to do it, and do I need to redo waterpro...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @aleksey. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It really depends on how much damage you do to the plaster whilst removing the tiles. Even tilers make allowances and pre-plan for damaging the plaster. Sometimes, it is impossible to remove the tiles without taking some plaster with it. You will probably damage the waterproofing around your bath whilst removing the tiles, which will need to be re-done. Here's a step-by-step guide which you should find helpful: How to waterproof a bathtub.

Have you considered tiling over or painting your tiles? Obviously, there might not be enough clearance to tile over in some scenarios, but it is an option if you weren't prepared to re-plaster and waterproof.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Retiling shower/bathtub wall: what the best approach to do it, and do I need to redo waterpro...

Thanks for your reply @MitchellMc. Sounds like I do need to plan for waterproofing

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated @aleksey. There are plenty of knowledgeable members here who will be more than happy to assist with your questions as your project progresses. We're here to help, so reach out whenever you need.

Mitchell

Hey @MitchellMc I have another question related to bathroom waterproofing. 

I will get a licensed waterproofer, but I'd have to prepare the floor for them. As I understand, I'd have to

- get rid of old tiles
- remove whatever is under the tiles to reach the cement floor
- level the floor if necessary
Anything else?

Also, there's tile skirting, and I guess it's fixed/glued to plasterboard(?), so if I damage it too much while removing skirting tiles, do I need to do something about it, like re-plaster?

Thanks for your help.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @aleksey,

@MitchellMc will be more than happy to help with your question when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me tag @redracer01 to see if he has any thoughts to share in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience.

Stevie

Hello @aleksey 

A warm welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Yes, tiling is involved and removing it causes damage to the plaster board. So take it as a guarantee that any tile you remove from the the plaster beneath it will need to be repaired! I am currently unaware of any technique of removing tiles from plasterboard without damaging the plaster. My best suggestion for your plan of attack is to do it in sections so you are not overwhelmed with the process. 

Cheers, 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks @redracer01 

So to repair it I would just need to re-plaster? (Any product you would recommend?)

Or replace a section of plasterboard?

Hello @aleksey 

I believe that it is more time saving to replace the large sections rather than repair. You can repair the little parts like skirting but the large sections would be better to be just replaced. Then all you would need to do is plaster repair the joins. Then you may call your waterproofer and save time and the re tiling will go much quicker. Please keep us updated with your progress and if you have anymore questions please post it here workshop. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @aleksey,

It's great to see @redracer01 has been assisting, and I would agree that replacing a section of the plasterboard would be easier than doing many patched repairs.

I'd pause for a minute after removing the floor tiles and assess what the substrate is. Perhaps post some images to get feedback before proceeding. You might have a choice between levelling the area or grinding the adhesive off.

I look forward to seeing some progress images.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects