Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rubberwood benchtop for laundry room

Murali
Getting Established

Rubberwood benchtop for laundry room

Hey guys,

I am planning my laundry renovation. I am thinking of putting a timber benchtop. Can you please help me in choosing one. I am juggling between

https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-acacia-solid-oiled-hardwood-project-panel_p8330032

or

https://www.bunnings.com.au/practa-2200-x-600-x-25mm-rubberwood-timber-benchtop_p0149588 and seal it.

Does any of these work well with the usual laundry wear and tear? If any of you have done this before for a laundry or bathroom or kitchen can you share your experience pls.

Thanks in advance

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Rubberwood benchtop for laundry room

Hi @Murali,

I know the Acacia hardwood panels are very popular with Workshop community members. Users who might like to share their experiences include @Former Workshop member, @Super_D, @Corinne1, @ElleM, @prvz27, @ogosh and @katebnz.

I would also encourage you to check out our Top 10 most popular laundry renovations for inspiration.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ElleM
Cultivating a Following

C6C765A6-94A7-4C81-B636-A4529108CF1E.jpeg

Hi Murali

I used an Acacia oiled panel to build my office desk. I think you can find my post about it by going into my profile? Mine was a simple job, just trimming to size. It cut well with only slight chipping with a new sharp circular saw blade and tape over the cut line and despite my limited experience. A quick sand on the cut edge and it was smooth as. Sorry I can’t comment on wearability in a laundry environment. Where mine is doesn’t get many bumps or scrapes. I love the colour of these panels and I give it a rub over with beeswax/carnuba polish to keep it looking nice and protected from liquid spills from time to time.

Cheers

Elle

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi Murali, I also used the oiled Acacia (26mm) in my kitchen.

https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Kitchen/Kitchen-makeover-I-went-dark/m-p/46127

The job is recent so I'm still very mindful of marking the wood.

The acacia benchtop is fairly soft and marks easily. You can indent just with your thumbnail.

That's ok by me because I don't mind things looking used but something to consider.

Needs to be oiled a couple of times a year also.

No experience with rubberwood but I can't see a problem 

if sealed with a few coats of varnish.

eg I used this pine coffee table with the legs cut off as a floating vanity in my bathroom.

I varnished inside and out every nook and cranny with three coats of varnish, and apart from a few minor scratches it looks the same as the day

I installed it 12 years ago. Seal with zeal!

vanity.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects