Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Saniflo for bathroom / laundry - why don't more plumbers / builders use ?

greenbean
Just Starting Out

Saniflo for bathroom / laundry - why don't more plumbers / builders use ?

I'm looking at renovating a dated ground floor apartment my mum just purchased. The dimensions of wet rooms are pretty generous but at the moment it's just a bathroom and laundry together. Ideally would like to create a laundry room with toilet behind the kitchen (kind of like a butlers pantry, but for the laundry - airlock isn't an issue as this space would open to the hallway not the kitchen).

When I was renovating my own apartment, we managed to get all the new pipework to fit into the old drains so no drilling required. I'm not sure that will be possible with mum's layout.  I was wondering why Saniflo isn't used more often; it wasn't suggested as an alternative for mine but could likely fit the brief here perfectly to create the extra laundry /powder room. 

I will meet with bathroom company in a couple of weeks but wanted to understand why Saniflo isn't used more often. Or maybe it is and it just wasn't suggested to me last time because they were able to make it work? Any anecdotes or experiences?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Saniflo for bathroom / laundry - why don't more plumbers / builders use ?

Hello @greenbean 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the use of Saniflo.

I totally agree with you that Saniflo is an amazing device and allows you to turn any room into either a shower or laundry room even in basement situations. Some plumbers might have their reservations about using them or council regulations have strict guidelines in their use. 

It's good that you're meeting up with your plumber as they will be able to answer your questions about its installation. My best suggestion regarding its installation is to make sure that it is located in a spot that you have easy access to so that should it need repair or replacement nothing needs to be disassembled in order to get to it. 

Let me call on our experienced members @MikeTNZ and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Saniflo for bathroom / laundry - why don't more plumbers / builders use ?

Thanks @greenbean and @EricL for bringing up this topic... I had never heard of Saniflo but I can see how the system could be a great solution for situations such as the one being described. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects