Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Seeking bathroom layout advice and recommendations

Klutz28
Growing in Experience

Seeking bathroom layout advice and recommendations

Hi folks, looking for some advice please on layout for a bathroom renovation, where a bathtub is being removed and a toilet put into the existing bathroom, and where the existing toilet is, building a compact ensuite to the second bedroom around that, so turning one bathroom into two. Here are some photos and drawings of the current and proposed layout of the original bathroom which is 1630mm wide and 2570mm long. NB: I will be redoing the floors (with a family friend’s help) due to damage.

With the proposed layout, placement of the new toilet on the left is due to the window opening being on the right. Placement of the showerhead and screen is flexible, are they ok on the left, with a ceiling exhaust fan on the right? Basically does the placement work, or am I overlooking anything maybe plumbing-wise? The potential use of barn doors is to save space. Also looking for recommendations on type of shower, the frameless option I think helps make it feel more spacious and looks modern, but I don’t know how easy they are to install?

The standalone toilet is 820mm wide by 1650 long, and as an ensuite will be a space of 820mm by 2570mm. What kind of shower enclosure is best, and what is the largest vanity that would still work in the small space?

If someone could please help me with one of those 3D drawings, that would be excellent, anything would beat my hand-drawn efforts. shower.jpgfrom doorway.jpgfrom doorway 2.jpgtoilet.jpgCurrent bathroomCurrent bathroomProposed layoutProposed layoutProposed ensuiteProposed ensuite

I have been inspired by this post here:

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/Bathroom-renovation-in-old-home-with-no...

and I’m in favour of the recommendation to use timber-look tiles in both bathrooms and quite open to suggestions in general. Thanks!

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Seeking bathroom layout advice and recommendations

Hello @Klutz28 

Your wish will be granted! Drawings will be done as soon as possible! 

Cheers!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

pepsp
Having an Impact

@Klutz28 you might want to have a play around with an online 3D planner like this caroma one 

Just wondering about the placement of the window and door. If you put the door opposite the window you could improve privacy for the toilet. The general rule of thumb is not to have the door opening right on to the toilet. Alternatively you could consider a half wall to reduce looking in on the toilet from the window.

Klutz28
Growing in Experience

Hi @redracer01 , I was actually hoping you would reply, so thanks very much in advance!

Hi @pepsp i should have known that would be a rule of thumb, good one thank you for the suggestions, and also for the 3D planner recommendation.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Klutz28. It's fabulous that you've joined us and many thanks for sharing your project.

I'll be looking forward to seeing @redracer01's rendering as I trust it will provide some amazing inspiration. I really like the idea of using sliding barn doors as they will allow you to use the whole floor plan in the compact ensuite. 

I'm not in favour of having exhaust fans directly over showers. My current fan is placed directly above the shower, and in winter it drips cold condensed steam back down onto you. I managed to solve this to an extent by putting a more powerful unit in, but I feel it would work just as well if it were located slightly outside the cubicle.

Frameless showers are relatively easy to install, make sure you get one designed for the surface you'll be placing it on. Some directly fix onto the tiles, and others are only to be placed on a shower base.

I can't wait to follow along with your project. Please let us know if you have further questions once @redracer01 has contributed his rendering.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Klutz28 

Welcome to workshop and I'm glad you asked! Your first bathroom can be done in that configuration however we can't have the vanity and the toilet opposite each other as the space between them will not be big enough to walk through or rather it would be very tight. A standard vanity is usually 450mm to 480mm in depth and the toilet is usually 600mm to 650mm sometimes over. Joined together you get 1130mm which leaves a space of just over half a meter to walk through. So our solution to this is to have the toilet and vanity side by side. This will fulfill the "no toilet in front of the door" rule and is a straight walk to the shower. The vanity partially hides the toilet and is not immediately visible. You can swap positions ( toilet and vanity )depending on the plumbing situation if possible.

As for the new shower and the vanity in the second toilet I recommend Rick McLeans shower door kit ( photo at bottom ). As for the vanity you can get only a compact 450 wide floor standing or wall hanging unit. It must be a square basin to maximize the opening space of the shower door. You can't get a semi recess basin as it will impact on the shower door swing making it very difficult to get in to the shower. Tile choice is up to you, you can get a timber tile look that appeals to you. I hope the drawings help you to visualize how your new bathrooms will look. If you have any more questions please post here at workshop. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

klutz28bath1.jpgklutz28bath2.jpgklutz28bath3.jpgklutz28bath4.jpgklutz28bath5.jpgklutz28bath6.jpgklutz28bath7.jpgklutz28bath8.jpg

Screenshot_2021-02-15 Rick McLean's 790 x 2000mm Smart Pivot Front Only Shower Screen.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Klutz28
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc that is helpful advice about the exhaust fan and frameless shower, when I have a chat to my family friend who is helping me with the flooring, we'll discuss shower frames from there.

Hello @Klutz28 

You should see the new post on your bathrooms now.

Red

Klutz28
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much @redracer01 you are an absolute legend! And also for your practical suggestions, I have a lot to think about now and excited about the pictures as they really do help! Amazing work, thank you for taking the time to do those.

Hello @Klutz28 

It's a special order item and I suggest speaking to handyman or a builder before committing to purchase the door to make sure that you can mount it in the 820mm space that you have.

Cheers,

Red

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects