Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shall I DIY my 2 X 2 bathroom?

ryan_2008
Finding My Feet

Shall I DIY my 2 X 2 bathroom?

Hi folks,

I'm planing on renovate my 2m x 2m bathroom. Tried to contact a few trades and find hard to get on hold of some good ones. One with good feedback quote me $7k which include remove tile, demolish, water proof, change shower tap to mixer and lay new tile (4 sqm floor, 6 sqm wall) and roughly 5 days work. I did some math:

7000 - 1000(material) /5 = $1200 /per day

I'm not sure if that's the medium range price, but 1.2k after tax cash feels a lot to me.

Now I'm thinking about DIY it, apart from save the money, I probably will have more attention to details when renovate my own bathroom and also will have more flexibility. 

My only concern is about waterproofing. I'll got it done by a professional for sure, but 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shall I DIY my 2 X 2 bath room

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ryan_2008. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

I trust our helpful members will be able to answer any questions you had about your project. Although the monetary outlay sounds significant there is also a great amount of work going into the project. You are also paying for the trade expertise involved in the processes. For example, when removing tiles you can potentially damage the Villaboard behind them. So instead of removing tiles that day, you'll now need to be learning how to repair Villaboard.

You might like to include some images of the bathroom so our members have a better idea of what you are starting with.

You should find these step-by-step tutorials helpful:

We look forward to hearing more about your D.I.Y. bathroom renovation project and we'd encourage you to let us know what you need assistance with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Day 0.5 demolish was very quick. However, just got on hold of a reputable tiler. So I'll probably stop here and let him continue.IMG_20201107_181113.jpg

Hi @ryan_2008,

It's great to see you've started on the project. What will you tackle next?

Please let us know if you need assistance as our members will be more than happy to provide advice. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects