Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tiling over tile: do you need to waterproof?

Joan_J
Growing in Experience

Tiling over tile: do you need to waterproof?

Hi all! 

I have a house that was built in the 90s which means there’s lots of ugly tiles in the bathroom, laundry and kitchen. 

Because they’re most likely attached to platerboard, it would be too costly for me to rip and replace them so I’d love to tile over them! 

I know you can tile over tile and that seems pretty straightforward (I’ve read some great posts on here already) but for wet areas like bathroom and laundry, do you need some sort of waterproofing? Or no, because the existing tile would already have that? Thanks!

Andrear
Getting Established

Re: Tiling over tile: do you need to waterproof?

Hi Eric do we have a video to create a fall on shower floor

thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Andrear 

Here is a link on How to screed a shower base. The techniques used on this small base are applicable on a larger scale. You can also use a builder's line as a guide to create a slope. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andrear
Getting Established

Thank you so much, looking at the video, outside the square shower base you are creating. Is higher: it this already tile or did you put higher flooring if so what material was used. Did you place together 2 layers of that material. I am just worried that after I put the tile on top of the base we are creating will be higher than the outside of the base square, lastly do you have a video on putting the shower drain with the new Install tikes.

thank you so much

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Andrear,

The shower base is tiled, and the floor will be too. In the video, the bathroom floor is not yet tiled, so it will be raised. The tile will be even with the surrounding floor outside of the shower recess. You then install your shower screen on the tiled floor.

Ideally, the shower recess at its higher point shall be at the same level or lower than the area outside of the shower. If your tiles are higher, then you might like to post some images so we can better see what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

I'm not aware of a video showing installing a shower drain or tiling around it. Once you've inserted the drain, you can mark your tiles where the drain impedes them. Typically this will be on the corners of four tiles. An angle grinder with a diamond blade can be used to cut the corner away from the four tiles. The tiles are then laid around the drain. Remember your PPE when cutting tiles, including safety glasses, a face mask and hearing protection.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thank you for all your advice. Started my journey will remove everything from the bathroom before getting all materials and equipment from Bunnings. My only question from the pictures attached I was able to remove the tiles there is cement is it better to sand it down or grind it and with what equipment. Or should I change the wetherboard or is it gyprock

IMG_4613.jpeg

IMG_4614.jpeg

completely. Thanks in advance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If it wasn't for the large hole, then you'd likely be able to apply your tile glue over the existing one without grinding it back if it was in good condition @Andrear. If you do any more damage to the wallboard or compromise the waterproofing, then you'll need to replace the wall sheet. Remember that if the waterproofing is damaged, you'll need to restore it to the shower recess and the whole bathroom floor. It's one continuous layer over the whole bathroom and you can't repair just the shower recesses section. Are you removing the floor tiles as well? You might like to start your own discussion and provide some details on your project. That way we can give you specific advice.

Mitchell

Hi mitchell

the hole was done when the plumber fixed the leak. My idea was to remove the tile for the entire bathroom fix the current hole or maybe replace the full piece in that side of the wall with villaboard. Put water proofing  on the entire new piece. But I I can see the other walls might need to put water proofing as you can see from the pics there was no water proofing done. I am also doing the floor will remove existing tiles as well. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Ok @Andrear, I just wanted to ensure you're working on the whole bathroom. Waterproofing is under the tile glue, so you won't necessarily see it, but re-waterproofing sounds like a good idea. In that case, you could remove the glue, but it's a very dusty process. It might be worth speaking with a waterproofer to discuss what type of surface they'll need you to provide.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects