Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for deep bathroom scum removal

chloet1
Growing in Experience

Tips for deep bathroom scum removal

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to get rid of tough bathroom scum? Also in the toilet bowl. I’ve tried CLR and Bar Keepers friend and some elbow grease! 
Thanks 

30600160-2573-40AA-AC03-CE2114EF765D.jpeg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: Tips for deep bathroom scum removal

That looks pretty bad !..I presume it's a chrome tap under all that gunk !

Here's what I would use if it was my tap.

"Easy off BAM"  and steel wool..

Don't laugh until you try it !

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chloet1,

You could try some Gumption Paste 750g Multipurpose Cleaner which is a mild abrasive cleaner. It's effective for polishing out marks on surfaces.

I've started using a diluted hydrochloric acid solution to remove scum in my toilet. It works quite well; you just want to ensure you don't leave it on so long that it eats into the glaze. You also need to ensure you are using adequate safety gear, including eyewear, gloves and a long sleeve shirt whilst using it. 

Have you seen @lifestylebymari's spray painted tapware? It's an excellent transformation and could work quite well for you too.

I'll be keen to hear what our clever members use around their own homes as I'm sure we've all dealt with similar situations.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chloet1
Growing in Experience

Hi @Prof ,

Thank you for your tips! It worked a treat! Came up much better thank you again :smile: 

chloet1
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thank you for your help and information :smile: I have yet to buy some hydrochloric acid to try the toilet scum, I have tried everything else, so I really hope that works! Fingers crossed.

I did see the tap transformation and was very keen.

Thanks again.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Glad I was able to help you..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects