Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Toilet floor waste

Matt2024
Finding My Feet

Toilet floor waste

Hello we have a toilet in separate room the toilet is separate from bathroom it in it own room . Does it need a Toilet floor waste we had one before but it got covered up by bathroom renovators is that going to be issue or not . 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Toilet floor waste

hi @Matt2024,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

I'm not 100% sure what the question is but you need a floor waste if you are looking to install a toilet. 

If there is an existing waste that has been covered, it may be as simple as removing whatever is covering the waste so a plumber can install the toilet.

It is difficult to tell without some clarification and seeing the specific circumstances you are referring to.

If you have further information, and possibly some photos, I'd be more than happy to assist you further.

Let me know if you need help uploading photos, once again, I am more than happy to help.

Jacob

we used to have floor waste in toilet room but it got covered up by renovators few years ago . 

IMG_0716.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Matt2024,

My apologies, I believe I've misunderstood what you meant by a toilet floor waste. Did you mean there was something like this Kinetic 100mm Chrome Brass Square Floor Grate installed in front of the toilet to drain any water that had spilled on to the tiles?

The requirements for floor waste in wet areas are dictated by Australian Standards and the National Construction Code and are sometimes specific to the jurisdiction you are in.

An example of this from NSW can be seen in the following link: Floor waste and fixture requirements

I would suggest contacting a plumber local to your area for advice on this as it is a licenced and regulated industry with requirements specific to your circumstances.

Let me know if you require any further assistance.

Jacob

Ok we are located in south Australia and yes we used to have floor grate but it was an old school one a circle one but they covered it up when they renovated it . That why I show you photo where it used to be but was wondering is it law or is it required to have a floor grate / floor drain in toilet room as all I can find is it required in a bathroom but nothing about it in just a toilet room. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Matt2024,

If you have had no issues relating to drainage, there may be no need for the drain. Unfortunately, this is a question for a plumber or a building certifier as I'm unable to assist with interpreting building codes. They will have knowledge and access to the relevant Australian Standards, which are frustratingly hidden behind a paywall.

I'd suggest you find someone local to you using a service such as Hipages or True Local.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects