Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Washing machine on bench top travelling

theparlourroom
Having an Impact

Washing machine on bench top travelling

D56121FC-672A-4538-AB8D-665CF611FECE.jpeg

My husband has a spinal injury, so when we renovated our laundry we put the washer and dryer *on top* of the bench top. It’s fantastic as we don’t have to bend, but we’ve tried everything to stop the washing machine from vibrating and travelling around, and nothing has worked. It’s level, and even anti-vibration pads haven’t helped. It’s shaking everything in the room, and on the other side of the wall in the next room. Before giving up and going back to putting it back on the ground, does anyone have any ideas? One last thing we thought we might try is removing the feet, and replacing them with bolts from the underside of the bench. But I’m not sure that will help at all. I’d really appreciate any advice!! Deb. 

MrsC
Just Starting Out

lnfolaundry

The advice for the benches for washer and dryer to sit on was great as l also would like to put mine on a bench in my Laundry 😃

Re: lnfolaundry

It’s so much better than bending down!!!!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lnfolaundry. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for jumping straight into the conversation.

Do you have a laundry renovation in the works or were you looking to make life easier in that space?

It would be great to hear more about your plans and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share your project with the community. I trust you'll find loads of other inspirational projects for around your house and garden which our amazing members have contributed as well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Update - we finally attached the cabinets to the wall, and then out a whole bunch of silicone under the workbench hoping that would help with some of the vibration. It’s working great! The anti-vibration pad from The Good Guys still hasn’t arrived, but it seems we won’t need it now. Thanks again for all the tips - very happy!!

Thanks for the update @theparlourroom

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

Really, really pleased for you!
I also tweaked (literally a tweak and no more) one of the front legs and it has made even more of a difference. As the bench has settled it just needed a final adjustment. Here's to washing without bending.

Walzz
Building a Reputation

I built a timber stand for my elderly mother-in-law's front load washer out of 90x90 treated pine and dyna-bolted it to the floor. (It was solid)
To minimise vibration and the chance of it moving out of position I carefully adjusted each foot so that the machine was level left to right and front to back, using a spirit level. Once everything was level it made quite a difference. The only occasion the machine jumped around a was on the spin cycle if the load became unbalanced.

JDB
Just Starting Out

Re: Washing machine on bench top travelling

Hi @gladice.

how did you find out if the bench was strong enough. I am looking at updating our laundry. We have just bought a front loader and want to mount it up higher for easier access for my husband who also has back issues. Are Bunnings cabinetry strong enough? My machine is an 11 kg. 

also the bracket fir the dryer with the pull out drawer do you know if you can get universal ones? My machines are fisher and paykel.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JDB. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

Let me mention @gladice, so they are alerted to your questions.

Kaboodle cabinetry is certainly strong enough to hold the 11kg weight of your washing machine. As I've mentioned above, though, you would want to make sure the cabinetry is mounted securely to the wall.

Depending on the style of mount your dryer has, we stock both the Carinya Clothes Dryer Bracket Wall Mounting Kit and Carinya Universal Clothes Dryer Wall Mount Kit.

We'd encourage you to share your project with the community and reach out if you need any assistance. If you haven't already read through it, check out @Adam_W's article on How to plan a laundry renovation. You'll also find plenty of other inspiration in our Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects.

We'll be looking forward to following along with your project.

Mitchell

JDB
Just Starting Out

Thanks Mitchell. I will check out those links. The washing machine has an 11kg capacity. But actually weighs 82kg plus water and clothes.  Would it be strong enough. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects