Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to water-seal edges of an Absco garden shed?

bennyboy
Cultivating a Following

How to water-seal edges of an Absco garden shed?

Hi, I constructed an Absco 3m x 3m garden shed on an existing concrete slab as a DIY (totally new to DIY, and highly inexperienced). With the build complete (sparing a few minor issues), I am now looking for steps to seal the edges of the shed, so as to prevent any water ingress when it rains. 

Absco recommend the shed be built with the edges on a recessed concrete slab to prevent this, which wasn't an option as i wasn't sure which shed i was getting when the slab was laid years ago. Question is, how do i seal the inner edges of the shed? 

Some pics of the shed and issue attached, looking for inputs from the community. 

Shed on slabShed on slabFront entryFront entryLooking towards the rear of shedLooking towards the rear of shedRear right corner, exposed sideRear right corner, exposed side

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to water-seal edges of an Absco garden shed?

@bennyboy good to see you have the bodyboard ready to go though 😉

Don't forget you can check with a hose running water on the roof and across the roof and on the doors for controlled flow to try to track it down.

Pain the the @@s but your almost there keep going.

Carl

jbellerby
Getting Established

Hi Ben I have the same issue with water entering under door. I have sealed the entire inside base with Sikaflex. How did you solve your issue

82FC3BE7-3E91-4EC6-8648-006FA2002D3F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jbellerby, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Our last recommendation about the leaking door was to put in an aluminium angle at bottom of the frame so that the door would sit on it and any rain that came in would be guided out at the bottom. Let me tag @bennyboy to make them aware of your question.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jbellerby
Getting Established

Thank you Eric. Do you have a photo? And what size angle?

Just trying to workout how the angle works with the bottom door latch. can you still open second door

bennyboy
Cultivating a Following

Hi mate, I still have the issue as I didnt get around to implementing any of the final suggestions provided by EricL and the team. 

This is after the rains we had in Brisbane this morning. 

March 2023.jpg

I believe in addition to the issue with just the water making its way in from around the door, there is also the fact that concrete being porous absorbs the water falling on it, and manifests itself as wet surface as seen here. This means that even if there is no water physically entering, the rain water which is draining out via the channels on the bottom edges seep into the concrete and show up as being wet. Please correct me if wrong. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jbellerby 

If you go back to the second page of this discussion, you'll see an excellent render and an explanation by @MitchellMc. The angle piece he was referring to was the Metal Mate 25 x 12 x 1.6mm 3m Aluminium Unequal Angle. I'll re-post the image below.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

jbellerby
Getting Established

Thank you I have fitted a piece 

jbellerby
Getting Established

Hi Eric what size rivits should be used. Not sure of the thickness of bottom rail. Angle is 1.6mm thick thank you

Hi @jbellerby,

Otter 4.0 x 4.8mm Open Aluminium Blind Rivets should be in the right ballpark. They have a grip of 4.8mm, so it gives you 1.6mm for your angle and 3.2mm to capture the bottom rail. I can't imagine the rail would be that thick, but the rivets should still grip solidly if it's thinner. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects