Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which epoxy kit to use for garage floor?

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Which epoxy kit to use for garage floor?

Hi Guys,

Seeking advise on Garage Floor paint or epoxy ideas. I moved into my new home 2 years ago and never thought of doing anything to my garage floor until I found out that it stains.

I have tyre marks, some oil dripping marks and the floor looks different at different places like sides look new whereas the middle part looks old. 

I have looked at few options but I am looking for affordable DIY project. I have seen some 1 Part Epoxy paints such as Rustoleum and I have looked at Epoxy Kits such as Dy Mark and Rustoleum. 

I am confused as which one is better and easy to do thinking that not all the floor is looking the same and needs a lot of cleaning too. Garage has heavy foot traffic, used for car park and other storage options.

Looking forward for any other suggestions too. 

Thank you

1000046652.jpg

1000046651.jpg

1000046650.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

Hi @Sajjad,

Your floor condition is fairly standard for most garages, and with some simple preparation, you can paint it successfully. I recommend you follow this step-by-step guide: How to apply epoxy to a garage floor. The Dy-Mark 8L Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit has everything you need, including the very important etching agent. Etching the floor ensures it is keyed and ready to accept the Epoxy paint. Epoxy paint is exceptionally durable and resistant to heavy foot and vehicle traffic. Many of our members have used this kit successfully, so I suggest that it would be a good choice for your project. Have a look at @maknilsin's Epoxy garage floor transformation.

For any grease and oil marks, I suggest you use CLR 750ml Grease & Oil Remover and a stiff bristle broom. You'll clean the garage floor thoroughly with the product prior to the etching stage. Check out this helpful guide: How to remove stains from garage floors.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your detailed response. Just one thing on this. 

I have some line cracks in the concrete, not deep but long. Do I need to fill them up or just do epoxy over it? 

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sajjad 

If you're going for a very nice flat finish, I suggest filling in the cracks with Earl's 1kg Concremate Expanding Cement in combination with Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper. My number one tip is to make sure that the cracks are thoroughly clean and free of loose debris. 

Please make sure to give the filler enough time to cure before you begin painting your garage floor. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects