Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

A chicken has adopted us

pepsp
Having an Impact

A chicken has adopted us

FB_IMG_1615059656740.jpg

Meet Molly. She's been a visitor to our backyard for a while but in the last week she has been roosting on our deck and tapping at our back windows and sneaking inside when we're not looking. She is hilarious and also needs company I think. 

FB_IMG_1615059673657.jpg

Yesterday we found these

Resized_20210306_175536(3).jpeg

We're worried about her sleeping in the open and also the amount of poo on the deck is something else. So we bought and put together this coop and have put it where she's sleeping in the hope she'll get used to it then we can move it down the yard. 

Resized_20210306_174548.jpeg

The coop seems really small though. Maybe I should DIY a bigger coop. And get her some friends. Any suggestions?

Re: A chicken has adopted us

So it's been about 8 months since we set up a tiny coop for Molly, our accidental chicken. With a lockdown for inspiration I have made a taj ma coop for Molly, and recently we've added Daisy and Clara to the flock.

20211109_185158.jpg

 mostly finished chook house with recycled weather boards, decking offcuts, recycled bearers and old laundry door cut down to fit the smaller height. 

20211109_185525.jpg

Chook run for 3 chooks including newly installed netting along neighbouring fence line to stop the escapologists from meeting the dog next door.

20211029_071943.jpg

Clara and Daisy the new girls

20211016_185041.jpg

Molly our accidental chicken

20211109_185353.jpg

Nesting box mostly finished

20210531_093838.jpg

Heres a picture of the frame in progress with diagonals to make it sturdy. I also added cross braces in the skillion roof to make it nice and solid.

The thinking was if the chickens leave then it will be a good garden shed.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pepsp 

Thank you so much for the update. It's good to know Molly is in good health and has friends now. The Taj Ma Coop looks great! I am a great believer in using recycled materials for projects. What kind of panel did you use for the coop? Is it PVC house cladding? Using the old laundry door is a great idea. I'm glad you provided a mesh window near the door, it should be more than enough to ventilate the coop. Do you have any other projects lined up? Please don't hesitate to share them.

We look forward to seeing your next creation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pepsp
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL 

Yes, old PVC house cladding. You get a bit more of an idea in this picture. We've given them a good scrub since then!

received_4106663209393214.jpeg

I also added a side door made from marine ply and pine decking. Once finished an automatic (solar and battery powered) coop door will be installed on the side door. Down the track we might also add a fully enclosed run for if we go away for a night. 

20211109_185256.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@pepsp Congratulations on such an incredible coop! I am sure your chickens are very happy.

Are they friendly? Do they like to be held? We are looking at getting a couple in the new year.

Katie

pepsp
Having an Impact

Molly our leghorn is a unique individual. I wouldn't say friendly exactly. She's not a big fan of pats and only gets picked up when she sneaks into the house or decides to roost somewhere random. 

The new girls are still wary of us and definitely don't enjoy being picked up, but we will win them over with food and treats eventually! Right now the biggest issue is Daisy and Clara don't seem to remember where bed is so if we haven't locked them up by 7pm they go off on adventures. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @pepsp 

I am sure you will win them over soon, even with a strict bedtime. 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects