Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Adding trellis above a fence in Adelaide

toccy30
Just Starting Out

Adding trellis above a fence in Adelaide

Does anyone have any experience adding a trellis that extends above the height of the fence? Does this need council approval?

I'm struggling to get a clear answer from our local council in Adelaide.

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Re: Adding trellis above a fence in Adelaide

Hi @toccy30 

I cannot give you a diffinitive answer legally,b with the experience I have had with fences or boundary fences in this case is.

1- Put in writing everything you plan to do including measurements and post it too the neighbour who shares the boundary fence and ask for permission.

Issues normally only arise when you don't have permission by the neighbour or you don't stick to the agreement of the structure being built.

I believe you will be safe if you put it in writing and get permission by the neighbour.

And also if after the structure has been put up and you have any issues, you will have everything in writing.

All the best

Kind regards Rob 👍😁

Thanks for the advice Rob.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @toccy30,

Great to see you make your first post on Workshop and receive such wise counsel from Rob.  

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're rapt to have you join us and look forward to seeing your trellis project come to life and many other projects around the house and garden in future. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand as we have loads of helpful members sharing advice and inspiration every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects