Workshop
Ask a question

How to create a compacted pad with edging for raised garden beds?

RenoHelpNeeded
Finding My Feet

How to create a compacted pad with edging for raised garden beds?

IMG_0429.jpeg

Hi everyone,

we are looking to improve the backyard (it’s a complete mess right now!) and would like to start with hiding the tanks under the back deck.

I was thinking of using the raised garden beds we have, and placing them on a compacted bed to ensure they stay level (the back yard has a very slight slope).

Can I get any suggestions you may have? The garden beds we have that will fit include two long thin ones (70cm deep), and a round one - which is approx 1m wide, I’d like to put the round one in the middle.

I was thinking maybe timber sleeper edging but would love any other suggestions? 
see pic’s attached!

Thank you 😊

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice on creating compacted pad with edging for raised garden beds

Hi @RenoHelpNeeded,

Thank you for your questions and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

My suggestion for ground preparation is to have a look at how a paver bed is prepared as it will be much the same process. This helpful D.I.Y article How To Prepare For Paving can offer some guidance on this process. 

Once the base is prepared, you can put your planters on top to hide the water tanks. You then might like to install a garden edge with either some sleepers or garden edge. These can be easily installed using pegs that slot over the top of the edging or sleepers and are driven into the soil using a hammer.

Once an edge is installed, you might like to backfill around your garden beds with some stones or mulch for a nicer look.

You might like to check out our Top 10 most popular landscaping projects and our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers for some inspiration

Allow me to tag some of our active members to see if they have any thoughts or ideas they could pass on @Noelle, @Dave-1, @Renowayoflife, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @RenoHelpNeeded 

I must admit having garden beds closer to the back door of the house generally means I will use the stuff that I have grown more so in everyday cooking :smile: So A few questions to help narrow down what will suit you the best.

The raised garden beds will be used mainly to grow? Tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage? I am thinking of the height they grow and how they will look from the deck.

The slope of the yard, how much would you say does it drop over a 2m span? Depends on how steep the ground is, timber edging would work if it isnt to big a drop otherwise maybve something that can hold more soil back. (retaining bricks, low gabion wall type deal)

Do you want them immediatly behind the deck or would down the side of the yard work? Thinking to give more/depth to the yard then width.

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Re: How to create a compacted pad with edging for raised garden beds?

Hi @RenoHelpNeeded I think the idea of a raised garden/veggie bed is perfect. As @Dave-1 mentioned, having a vegetable garden close at hand then what you grow will be used. Treated pine sleepers lined with plastic make for a simple build off a slope as you only need to dig the framework back toward the highpoint (water tanks).

I had a similar issue except having to cover from behind, I had to cover a slab that was too thick to cut up. Instead I build over it with a raised veggie garden and then eventually used pavers and river stones to cover the remaining slab.

You can make it more interesting and easier to access if you step the boxes down to. Plus it gives you a wall to grow taller plants against with wire mesh. Use steel edging to great a pathway from the side of the deck down and around your new garden. 

Regards, Nailbag

IMG_6323.jpegIMG_6348.jpegIMG_6353.jpeg

Thanks JacobZ!

that’s exactly what I planned to do - fill in the gaps with mulch - the circular bed will stick out a bit further than the longer ones, so I’ll need to work out if I just do a wider rectangular garden edge, or mould the edge with angles the get it to ‘wrap around’ the beds more closely.

Thanks for your advice!

Hey Dave! 😊

So, being a west/facing site I’m thinking probably lettuce, onions, spinach, rainbow chard etc for autumn/winter - then look more towards tomatoes, carrots and other heat-hardy vegetables over spring and summer - im a well-seasoned gardener so choosing plants shouldn’t be an issue. I’m also thinking  Mediterranean herbs would grow extremely well in that aspect.

the drop is not substantial at all - maybe 15cm over 2m? It’s what I would describe as a very gentle slope (a bit vague, but still accurate 🤣)

I actually already have some others down the east side of the house - the idea here was really to hide the water tanks and underside of the deck.

Thanks for your input!

Wow they look amazing! Well done!

I think I should’ve made it a bit clearer that the raised beds you see are the tank-like structures in the picture! These are actually what I’m using to cover the square black tanks which I’ve got under the deck - there’s 3x 2000L tanks under there, plus a pretty unglenunder-deck area which is what I’m trying to hide 😉

I actually have a cement slab I’ve already put two more corrugated raised beds on and thought I could use the same timber sleeper edging around these too - a think they’re a great idea to utilise an old slab!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RenoHelpNeeded,

To help visualise the space, I'd suggest you lay out the area using Dy-Mark Fluoro Spray & Mark Paint. This will give you a tangible way of seeing your planned garden bed before you start digging and shifting things around and allow you to work out the best option for your edging. If you wanted to go with a curved edge to wrap around the beds closely, something flexible like Tuscan Path 75mm x 10m Black Garden Edging might be a good option for you.

Let me know if you need some help once the project commences.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects