Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Anthurium leaves have turned brown

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Anthurium leaves have turned brown

Hi,  My Anthurium plant was doing well and I intended to have it re potted in spring. I now find the leaves are turning yellow and brown . I had it in the Alfresco but moved it out under a roof area due to this problem but it is getting worse. Please let me know what needs to be done to stop the spread and avoid the plant from dying. Please find pic. I do not want to do anything without help with this problem.

Thank you

GardenhelpAnthurium leaves turn brownAnthurium leaves turn brown

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Anthurium leaves have turned brown

Hi @Gardenhelp .  I think your Anthurium is probably fine. It's probably just sulking because it's a tropical plant and it doesn't like the cold winter weather. 

I have one just like it, and it's getting the same dead, brown patches on some of the leaves. Some of my other tropical plants are also having a sook, even though I live in Queensland. They'll be OK.

I would leave your Anthurium alone until the weather warms up and things start growing again. Then I would cut off the affected leaves close to the base of the stalks and give it a thorough, deep watering followed by a hit of Power Feed diluted in a watering can. You can cut off a few of the brown leaves now if you like, but I wouldn't go overboard pruning it while it's not growing. 

If the potting mix is dry now you can give it a bit of a drink now, but it's best not to soak things too heavily when they're not growing and not using much water.

Anthuriums don't mind being a bit underpotted, so you don't have to be in a hurry to repot them. How long has it been in that pot? 

Brad 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Gardenhelp

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @BradN. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend taking the Anthurium into your house at night so that it will not be exposed to very cold temperatures. You can then take it out at noon when the temperature outside has warmed up. Hopefully, the cold weather will start to ease up and you can leave your Anthurium outside.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Good thinking, Eric. A while ago I decided to bring one of my crocodile ferns inside for the rest of the winter. It was really stacking on a turn, with whole big leaves turning brown.

Potted plants feel the cold (and the heat) more than the same varieties planted in the garden do. Soil temperature fluctuates much less than air temperature does, so soil acts as insulation for the root system and to an extent the whole plant.

Cheers,

Brad

Hello, I thought I was the only certifiable person here bringing in my plants at night. I don’t just do that I can push them under the eaves at night (frost) and do. Not easy when they are all propped up on brick’s. Or if I think it might be pouring rain I am out in it pushing them back. I do have the best garden in the street haha.

Hi @brendawebster44 . I'm sure your plants appreciate the extra work you put in to looking after them!

I've found my little folding fridge trolley very handy when moving big succulent plants out of long rain events. I also keep a lot of my bigger plants in black plastic pots and just drop those inside my heavier ornamental clay pots. It makes it much easier to move and re-pot things when you don't have to wrestle with heavy clay pots as well. It's especially handy when I'm taking all my houseplants outside to give them a deep watering with a hose wand.

Most ornamental pots are sized to accommodate a black plastic pot of a standard size (180mm, 200mm, 250mm, etc), so it works quite well. I sometimes have to put some stones or something in the bottom to make the plastic pot sit flush, but that's easy enough.

Cheers,

Brad

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Hi Brad, Eric and Brenda,

Thank you very much for all the tips and advise. I have brought my anthurium back to the alfresco area. I will wait until spring to re pot. Thanks for the tip on how to move the indoor plants. 

Kind regards

Gardenhelp

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Gardenhelp . I'm glad we could help! Let us know if you have any other questions. And feel free to share some pictures of your Anthurium and other plants once they've cheered up a bit in the spring!

Brad

Hi Brad, I too have to find ways of moving my plants around. I use my walking frame and put all my stuff soil and tools in the bag underneath. It is very handy indeed, brenda 

@brendawebster44 They say that necessity is the mother of invention!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects