Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ants in my vegetable garden

Canolice
Getting Established

Ants in my vegetable garden

I am wondering if someone can help me.

Ants have taken over my raised vegetable garden and they hurt when they bite so my garden has been neglected. My son is now getting old enough to help in the garden and I would love to get them up and growing (more than weeds) again.

See pictures of the nasty things below. (I also have green ants and little ants)

I have tried ant powder but no success.

Should I look at getting a pest man out (would this work)? Or is there another option? Do I need to empty them (raised gardens) as the ants seem to be in them aswell as around them? Should I move them to another part of my garden(where there is little ants?

I miss getting out and picking my vegetables, so looking forward to some help and getting these up and growing again without the fear of getting bitten.

ANT.jpgant2.jpg

Canolice
Getting Established

Re: ANTS (in the vegetable gardens)

Im guessing this wouldnt kill the ants though. What do you do with them once they are in the containers?

Yes it kills the ants. The container is usually full of them by the next day. I just rinse them down the drain and start again.

Canolice
Getting Established

Another update, so it seems they have gone.

The Borax seems to have worked. It just took longer than expected.

Many thanks for your help, heres to now getting some cooler weather so I can get back out to the vegetable gardens and weed them and start planting them up.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic. Many thanks for the update @Canolice. Hopefully this will also help others facing a similar problem.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your gardening efforts soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects