Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any suggestions for hose setup?

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

Any suggestions for hose setup?

Hi All,

Just wondering if there’s a better setup for our hose?

Im not able to move the pole that’s pushing up against the tap. 
As you can see the tap isn’t easy to turn on 😬

IMG_8384.jpeg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: suggestions for hose setup

Hi @Newbie- 

If the idea is just to get clearance to operate the tap, a simple & cheap option would be to extend the pipe a little (or a lot, other lengths are available) with something along the lines of this extender:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brasshards-50-x-15mm-brass-threaded-extension_p0260392

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Newbie- 

I like the way of @TedBear's thinking. It seems to be the easiest fix and what my mind went to as well.

Dave

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

Thank you.

If I can extend it by 40-50cm that would be great. It’s really hard to access the tap. But I suspect something that long would have issues staying up?

Is it male to female?

Would this work too?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brasshards-15-x-150mm-chrome-plated-brass-male-female-extension_p0260386

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Newbie- 

I couldnt tell you for sure. It looks like its an interior extension and that could be different from your outside tap. You could but it and then see if it fits. If it dosnt you could return it as long as you havnt marked it/used it. 

Or maybe turn off the wtare, disconect the tap and take it down to Bunnings to gaurentee that it matches what you have at home?

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newbie-,

That 150mm fitting should also fit. You are correct, though, that extending the tap to 40-50cm would require installing some pipe support.

Are you able to install a post and a tap further out, away from underneath the bench? Or, you could even extend the pipe out and use a bracket to attach the tap to the front leg of the bench.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Newbie- , a 50mm extension is just 2 inches in old language... about the length of a finger, so it shouldn't put much strain on the pipe. However, supporting it is still a good idea. What is the fitting for that is immediately behind the existing tap?  It looks like a T piece, but I guess it can't be unless it is sealed off somehow.

If that fitting could be removed, you could measure how far the tap needs to be away from the where the existing feed pipe (with no fittings) ends to where the tap needs to sit to be clear of obstructions, then buy an extension that is close to that length. Maybe it could be supported by clamping it to that existing post?

An extender is male to female, so that whatever you screw it to, you will then have the same thread type (M or Fem) presented to you as you started with. 

If you are wanting a 500mm extension you may have to consider using a threaded pipe. You would then need to look into adaptors to suit available thread sizes and a tap to suit the far end. Then you'll need the support post as had been suggested already. 

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

Thank you. It seems we have to be rather careful with this because the pipe is a bit loose inside the wall. Theres a concern that it could break off and leak into the wall. Will do some more investigating but there’s a lot of great suggestions here we can look into.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects